Menu
jtkerr
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email bin limit

Emails are only kept in my bin till limit of 180 is reached then oldest are deleted. Is there a way to increase limit as 180 is not enough. I fill limit in 3 days sometimes less. I needed to check accuracy of an email that had been sent to me but was unable to verify as it had been deleted. Any ideas

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email bin limit

The obvious question is 'why on Earth are you putting emails into the bin if you think you might need them'? It's a bit like keeping all of your important physical documents in the recycling container outside and then wondering why they keep going missing on bin collection day!

As the name suggests, the bin is for rubbish you no longer want to keep, and as far as I know, No you can't change the maximum retention time.

0 Kudos
jtkerr
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thx for reply. I do receive a lot of emails and bin those I think I’ve dealt with. However someone disputed order of events from 4 days earlier and because the emails had been cleared I was unable to prove anything and it cost me money. So if there is no way to increase limit I will need to create a folder to temporarily hold emails before putting in bin. Or my inbox is going to be huge 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 is right. Bin means bin. VM have no way of knowing that you really think bin means storage and so the VM mail system behaves accordingly. Your practice is obviously problematic and you have discovered to your cost. Don't blame VM for that.  Your idea of setting up a second folder as temporary holding area is so blindingly obvious, words fail me. But there is something else. If you use the mail archive function a separate archive folder is created in date (year) order so you can store mail until you need it again and find it easily. But there is an overall 25GB limit on the size of your mail box. Frankly if you are using VM mail for business purposes you should think again. It is not designed for that. It is not robust enough to cope with large volumes of mail. 

There is no 180 item limit on the trash folder. What there is a variable deletion process. In principle stuff over 7 days old is deleted every seven days but the VM mail system does odd things at odd times. 

Most of the sensible people here that I know have long since stopped using it and have chosen something better from the range of free ad supported services. They tend to be more resilient and have better spam filtering than VM. Indeed last night the whole of the VM single sign on system went down for a short while cutting off access to VM mail. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jtkerr
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Howard thx for reply. I was not blaming VM I was merely asking if I could increase limit. I am not using it for business purposes, I purchased something but on checking bank they had taken different price from what was on email. I was wanting it as proof. I am obviously not one of the sensible people and haven’t changed from VM system.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to the other contributors, there isn't a 180 item limit on the VM trash folder.  There are currently 210 items in my VM trash folder.

The VM auto clear function on the trash folder is sporadic but appears to happen roughly once a month, deleting anything that has been in trash for more than seven days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos