cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email arrives in read format (not bold)

sdu60
On our wavelength

All email messages delivered to my devices are shown as read. Normally messages are in bold type and become normal type after reading but now all arrive in normal type. I have checked the boxes in the reading pane menu and they are set to deliver in bold. Whats going on?

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sdu60 wrote:

Any suggestions?

Reading through this thread, I'm thinking you mainly use email apps such as Outlook to manage your emails.

I would suggest you that to trouble shoot this further by trying to check whether it's a VM or an email app or client that's causing your emails to be flagged as read.

Start by closing down/turning off Outlook and any other email apps or clients you have on all your devices so that for the moment none of them are synchronising with your VM webmail account.

Then sign in to your VM webmail account and send a test message to the same account. That will arrive in a second or two. Does that show as being read as soon as it arrives?

If it is shown as unread, just sign out of webmail and then sign back in again. Is the email still showing in bold?

If so that's starting to look like one of your email apps is flagging incoming emails as read.

Go back and open Outlook and do a send/receive to pick up new emails. When your test VM email arrives in the Outlook inbox is that now showing as read?

If so, when you check back with your webmail account I would expect that email to now show as read because its status will have been synchronised with Outlook.

There have been a number of posts on the Microsoft Forum over the years about this. See these two as examples.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/outlook-365-new-emails-showing-as-read 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/microsoft-office-2021-outlook-marking-all-... 

Sadly, Outlook has so many options that if it is an Outlook issue it's extremely difficult to resolve annoying things like this.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello sdu60,

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community. 

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your email service.

Can you please confirm the following?

• Has this issue only started happening recently?
  • Are you accessing your email via the web or an app?
  • What devices are being used to access the email account?

Thank you, 

Nat

sdu60
On our wavelength

Thanks for the quick response.
The issue is recent - last week.
Normally access emails using microsoft outlook but have also used direct web access to see if it is different. However web view is the same ie messages in read format.
Using desktop pc, laptop, and phone to access. Same display in all.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you. 

Are the emails still showing as unread aside from the bold writing? There is usually a little circle next to the the new emails.

Nat

sdu60
On our wavelength

Don't see any circles by new unread emails. Was not aware that this should occur.

Also had the problem of incoming mail going to sent folder but this has corrected itself.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for confirming. 

I have checked from our side and it does seem that this may be caused by an ongoing issue that we are currently working to fix. 

We have flagged the problem to the team who are working on the problem and will provide any updates when they become available.

Thanks, 

Nat

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sdu60 wrote:

All email messages delivered to my devices are shown as read. Normally messages are in bold type and become normal type after reading but now all arrive in normal type. I have checked the boxes in the reading pane menu and they are set to deliver in bold. Whats going on?

Any suggestions?

Check that there are no unexpected filter rules set here, ⚙ > E-Mail > Filter Rules; if there are review what they do before disabling or deleting  and then follow the advice here My Virgin media email has been hacked | Virgin Media Help

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

sdu60
On our wavelength

2 weeks have elapsed and still no action or response from Virgin. Is it an ongoing issue as stated? Please provide status.

Thanks for your reply, sorry to see that this has not been resolved. Just to confirm have you followed the very helpful advice from @用心棒 to confirm the filter rules?

Are you also using our webmail portal to access these emails here? Is this happening on all devices too?

Let us know, we're always happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

sdu60
On our wavelength

Still waiting for a response or even update on the problem. (emails delivered in read format rather than in bold (unread). Is this a server problem as when I read emails on the web page the display there shows all emails as read? (a previous response from Virgin said this might be reason)
I have checked all filters and can't find anything which defines how emailed are displayed or how this can be changed. Please advise.