Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Email after changing to Virgin Media

Hi,

i have just moved from TalkTalk broadband to Virgin. What happens to me email now? I am still able to receive emails on my talk talk email but just today I am no longer  able to send any emails. As far as I know I did not change any settings. Have talk talk done this? Is it a fault? How long will talk talk allow me to continue using their email since I no longer pay them? Totally confused re this. Any guidance much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email after changing to Virgin Media

What email client are you using?  Are you getting any error message?

Please read this thread and see if you can get the specific VM error code (VMxxx) from outlook or thunderbird.  Don't post any personal information, just the basic details so we can diagnose the problem.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

Edited to add:  It might end up with you going to Talk Talk for advice if it is them blocking your sending emails.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

As the op has not changed settings since joining VM there is unlikely to be a VM error code.  As others have posted this is likely to be down to a Talk Talk settings issue now that they are no longer using a Talk Talk IP address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

whoops, thanks Graham - I'll edit my post.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks people. I will try what you advise tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

hi!

i have a similar problem, my email is still with talktalk but not subscribing anymore, recently they sent me an email that they will closing the email account to those non subscriber, otherwise pay £5 monthly to avail email facility which im not doing it. so i thought ill use my vm email facilities, hence ive been paying such an amount every month, ive change my username to vm.com my new email add now, but i cant get through cause i have to confirm the new email add, they sent me an email to my talktalk add and to confirm from there, but the email they sent me was that ive successfully change the username, no link for me to click in order to go back to the main, every time i log in its telling me to confirm, so i phoned in vm it took me 15 min to get through, and nothing has been done and was told that theres a glitch on the system and that it people are trying to solve the problem, this has been going on since day 1 when i move to vm, i thought so complicated thats why i continue using talktalk. 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes I also am happy to stay with TalkTalk as my email provider but I can't send any messages. I tried to send a large document about a week ago which it couldn't manage - so I tried to send it via iCloud - failed also. I wonder is that where my problems started?

Maybe it is just my settings I have screwed up? Frustrated and still trying to resolve the problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@frantic_fairyuk, you are right it is not perpetual but a paid for service now; thank you for point this out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@WullyT wrote:

Frustrated and still trying to resolve the problem

You really need to contact Talk Talk for advice on this. VM certainly cannot help you.

However, the Talk Talk settings in this link should work on any internet provider's network (for example, Virgin Media, Sky or  +plusnet) unless Talk Talk have closed or blocked your old TT account.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Email-settings-IMAP-amp-POP3/ta-p/2204399snet

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes indeed I have read those articles. I know it is a talk talk issue. Spent about an hour today on their "chat" help service but that is so slow I had to finish the session before we were even close to a solution.

I just keep getting --  outgoing server-- talk talk.net (offline). And that is where the problem is. But how to get that "online" is my solution I think.

0 Kudos