Menu
darkcloud11
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Email addresses still exists - left 18 months ago

Appears my blueyonder aliases and virginmedia email addresses still work after leaving VirginMedia back in Oct 18.

Any ideas how they can be deleted as thought this happened on its own, within 90 days of leaving.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email addresses still exists - left 18 months ago

You have come to the right place, darkcloud11.

As you know, the mailboxes should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer, according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the orphaned mailboxes deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few days and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through https://mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

darkcloud11
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Should I have got a response from someone in VirginMedia as no one has been in touch.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@darkcloud11 wrote:

Should I have got a response from someone in VirginMedia as no one has been in touch.

Yes, you should have done.  Possibly overlooked as you marked the thread as solved by hitting the helpful answer button rather than kudos to thank the responder.

I will flag this to the Forum Team so they pick it up soon and respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello darkcloud11

I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello darkcloud11

I have requested for these emails to be deleted now

It can take up to 7 days 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
darkcloud11
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I've just sent a few more email addresses that need to be removed as they were created as part of my billing account, can they be deleted to.

4 of the blueyonder email addresses/aliases are now deleted when I checked on https://mailtester.com/index.php. But the virginmedia one is still active.

Thanks

0 Kudos