cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email address on my Galaxy Note mobile now asking for imap and smtp passwords.

interloper
Tuning in

The first email opened on account [MOD EDIT: Personal details] was [MOD EDIT: Personal details] which my husband uses. I have two email accounts on it [MOD EDIT: Personal details] (this lost email services for 5 weeks earlier this year asking for smtp. and imap.virginmedia.com passwords but is now working after recovery) and [MOD EDIT: Personal details] which I use on my Galaxy Note mobile. 

[MOD EDIT: Personal details] is now asking me to sign in with smtp. and imap.virginmedia.com passwords but does not accept the passwords I have tried.

How can I work out what passwords the [MOD EDIT: Personal details] email account on my mobile is asking for?

It is essential that the other 2 email accounts, [MOD EDIT: Personal details] and [MOD EDIT: Personal details]  are not affected by the solution to [MOD EDIT: Personal details]

Please contact me via [MOD EDIT: Personal details]  as [MOD EDIT: Personal details] is not receiving emails, or text [MOD EDIT: Personal details]

Thank you for your help,

Penny Mason

4 REPLIES 4

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi interloper 👋🏼 Sorry to hear about the issues with the passwords for your VM email. 😞 We appreciate you reaching out to us on here for this.

Before we continue, I need to ask if you've setup a password for each email?

To do this:

To get the password, follow these steps:

Sign in to My Virgin Media
a. Go to Account settings, then Account details
b. Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
c. Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

interloper
Tuning in

Thank you IIyas, but my account settings/details only show my main email account (which thankfully is working again) and not the problem email account which I had been accessing on both a laptop (with my main account) and on my mobile device. I do not remember what the password for the problem email is as it has worked for years but when I tried to access emails on my mobile recently it suddenly asked me for imap and smtp passwords. I am very afraid to follow the 'Manage your Virgin Media Mail App Password' route because it may render my husband's email account and my main email account (both on the same virgin media account) inaccessible.   

Thank you for your help

Penny

Thanks for coming back to us interloper, are you able to login to the account that you're having the issue with, if you're able to login to My Virgin Media using the address and password that you have for that account and then do the steps again, as you need to generate a password for each account individually, are you able to give that a try and let us know how it goes?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Thank you Steven and apologies for slow reply. I can get into my Virgin Media but when I go to https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/account-settings/mail-settings  it only shows my main email account (now recovered) and not the account used on my mobile. So it appears I cannot change the credentials for the mobile unless I change them for my main account which I am afraid to do. I have taken the coward's way out and stopped using the mobile account for now but thank you and all who have tried to help