cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email address not changing in VM account

Jillyflower
On our wavelength

Hi , hoping someone can help!

Set up Outlook yesterday for email receipt on PC. VM wanted an app reset , but would NOT accept me doing it with Blueyonder email address that is used for everything, in the end I had to use a Gmail address!!! 

I tried today to change that email back to the Blueyonder one but it will not allow me to do it. 

Now I have an email to click on link to confirm but, I do not want my Gmail address using and I want to change it back to Blueyonder.   email below for ref.     Thank you

Thanks for updating your email address on your My Virgin Media account. To confirm the change, all you must do is to verify your email in the link below:

Verify email address

As soon as the email address is verified, your new My Virgin Media email address will be changed to ????@gmail.com.

From now on, you'll need to use your new email address to sign into My Virgin Media.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I believe that it is another security enhancement that VM are introducing.  It will enable the use of Multi Factor authentication whereby a code can be sent to the third party email address. 

Extract from the help pages:

Why are you asking me to change my username?

In order to improve security for our customers we’re introducing something called Multifactor Authentication across our online and app services.

This means that when you sign in and we need to verify your identity, we’ll send a one-time passcode to your email address to check that it’s you trying to sign in. You’ll then just need to pop in that code, and you’ll then be able to sign in and continue your journey.

Since we send this one-time passcode to an email address, for security reasons we need to send it to a non-Virgin Media email address. That’s why, if you use an email address that ends in @VirginMedia.com, @ntlworld.com, @virgin.net, or @blueyonder.co.uk to sign in, we’re asking you to update it to a third-party email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's all rather confusing isn't it.  The Gmail address will be the one you use to sign into your My Virgin Media account and VM webmail.  However, this will not change your underlying blueyonder email address which will continue to operate as long as you remain a VM broadband customer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks Graham, 

Why has this happened, do you know?   

Jill 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I believe that it is another security enhancement that VM are introducing.  It will enable the use of Multi Factor authentication whereby a code can be sent to the third party email address. 

Extract from the help pages:

Why are you asking me to change my username?

In order to improve security for our customers we’re introducing something called Multifactor Authentication across our online and app services.

This means that when you sign in and we need to verify your identity, we’ll send a one-time passcode to your email address to check that it’s you trying to sign in. You’ll then just need to pop in that code, and you’ll then be able to sign in and continue your journey.

Since we send this one-time passcode to an email address, for security reasons we need to send it to a non-Virgin Media email address. That’s why, if you use an email address that ends in @VirginMedia.com, @ntlworld.com, @virgin.net, or @blueyonder.co.uk to sign in, we’re asking you to update it to a third-party email address.

I'd looked for that info.  thankyou for knowing where it was. I can explain to everyone else i know that it will happen to as we are very VM clientelle where I live!!