Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email address availability

Not a major issue but I was wondering if anyone would know why this might be?

I have a legacy firstname.lastname@ntlworld.com as my primary email address, and some years back when VM started rolling out the @virginmedia.com addresses, I tried to get the same format for that domain. I was told that it wasn't available but I could have the same firstname.surname combination if I suffixed it with 8 or 9.

No thanks and thought no more of it. Similarly my wife has the firstname.surname@ntlworld.com address but again the @virginmedia.com equivalents wasn't available.

However, recently, I thought I'd just try them in the MailTester.com site and it claims that both firstname.surname combinations @virginmedia.com are not found.

So if these addresses don't already exist, why can't I claim either or both of them, or they do exist and the mailserver isn't properly responding to queries against them?

Not a biggie but I was curious as to what could be going on here.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email address availability

They have been blocked by VM so that no legacy email address can be duplicated  by a virginmedia.com address.

There was an initial plan to release them on a first come first served basis, but this was scrapped after technical difficulties were encountered.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well that makes sense, and explains the reasoning although I am struggling to think of what the technical difficulties might have been.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Technical may not have been the best choice of words.  The plan was pulled due to undisclosed issues.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can think of at least one issue off the top of my head that would have caused headaches.

Note:  This is a personal opinion, I'm not a Virgin Media Employee.

Principle would be the fact that NTL and Telewest between them controlled 3 domains.

virgin.net  - (Originally NTL in collaboration with Virgin Group.  NTL later took sole ownership of Virgin Internet)
ntlworld.com - NTL's own branded domain.
blueyonder.co.uk - Telewest's chosen brand for their Internet offering.

So imagine if you have the following accounts.

ravenstar68@netlworld.com
ravenstar68@blueyonder.co.uk
ravenstar68@virgin.net

All belonging to different customer accounts.

Who then do you reserve ravenstar68@virginmedia.com for?   Also imagine the potential for confusion amongst people trying to contact the one of the PEOPLE who didn't manage to get that address.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

OK, yes that does sort of make sense and I can see the possible confusion, but I'd have thought it would be simpler to just open the @virginmedia.com domain up for new email addresses on a first-come, first-served basis and take it from there.

Anyhow, like I said, annoying but hardly critical. I should probably stop being lazy and register my own domain really and sort my email out once and for all!