Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Email address Hacked

So I have had my Ntlworld email address for at least 10 years, my dad set it up for me when I was around 15 years old. I still use it as my primary email address and today when I checked my email I saw a number of read receipts and out of office responses which had been sent to my email, on reading them I could see a spam email had been sent from my account asking people to click a link which I obviously didnt send, this has been sent to colleagues and businesses. My email wouldnt update and it became clear the password had been changed by the hacker. I tried to login through this website and got directed to a page saying your mailbox is unavailable at the moment, I also get this message when I try to reset my password. I’ve had this message for a day.

So I have had my Ntlworld email address for at least 10 years, my dad set it up for me when I was around 15 years old. I still use it as my primary email address and today when I checked my email I saw a number of read receipts and out of office responses which had been sent to my email, on reading them I could see a spam email had been sent from my account asking people to click a link which I obviously didn’t send, this has been sent to colleagues and businesses. My email wouldn’t update and it became clear the password had been changed by the hacker. I tried to login through this website and got directed to a page saying ‘your mailbox is unavailable at the moment’, I also get this message when I try to reset my password. I’ve had this message for a day I phoned the call centre and after an hour on the phone Im absolutely no further to resolving this, I am concerned someone still has access to my email account which I use for work and cant get into. My email is not linked to a virgin account as it was set up 10 years ago by my dad, the guy on the phone couldnt grasp this concept and told me he would raise an IT fault and Id get an email, i then explained to him that is no help to me as I can;t access my emails and was told there was nothing that could be done. Surely this cannot be the case, I desperately require access to my emails.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email address Hacked

Sorry to read about your issue.  You are not going to like the official answer.

The ntlworld email address should have been closed down shortly after the Virgin Media broadband account it was set up under was closed.  You mention that is isn't linked to an account so presumably your dad has since closed his broadband account down.

If this is the case the only thing that the VM staff can do is to ensure that the account is now fully closed down and the email address deleted from their systems.  You may get lucky and find a member of staff who is willing to unlock the account for you, they shouldn't do so but there have been recent reports of it happening.

You would be well advised to set yourself up with a new email address, preferably not one linked to an ISP, as start letting all your contacts know asap.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

If the account isn't connected to a current Virginmedia Broadband account then it is classed as an orphan, and could be deleted at anytime, if your dad set it up VM support will not be able to help you as you are not the account holder.

See https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073 regarding orphaned accounts.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for your help so far, when I logged into virgin media (not email) it tells me my email is a secondary account and previously when I’ve had to reset my password my dad has had to do so through his account as I was a child when it was set up. My dad actually does still have virginmedia but I think at some point over the ten years he may have gone to sky for a year and then came back, but I’m unsure. He set up email addresses for me and my two sisters back in the day and theirs and my dads are still accessible. He’s at work at the moment but I’m hoping he may be able to resolve it through his account later on.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Kirstens wrote:

Thanks everyone for your help so far, when I logged into virgin media (not email) it tells me my email is a secondary account and previously when I’ve had to reset my password my dad has had to do so through his account as I was a child when it was set up. My dad actually does still have virginmedia but I think at some point over the ten years he may have gone to sky for a year and then came back, but I’m unsure. He set up email addresses for me and my two sisters back in the day and theirs and my dads are still accessible. He’s at work at the moment but I’m hoping he may be able to resolve it through his account later on.

As the email address is a secondary one on VM account that appears active then the Forurm Team should be able to get it unlocked.  They will probably suggest that your Dad creates a forum account here so that he be involved in the security clearance process, being the account holder.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kirstens,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry that you've had some problems with your email address being used inappropriately. 

It looks like the community have been really helpful in giving you the information that you need, and advising that the email should have been deleted when the account was closed.

I'd like to take a closer look at the account to see what I can do for you and will discuss speaking with the account holder to clear security.

I'll pop you a private message now.

Thanks

Melissa 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa I am Kirsten’s dad the account holder.  I did try resetting her password but she said it did not work still.  Unsure how to pm on here so if you message me will give you my account info to verify this.  Thanks Dean