cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email accounts stopped working

Robdd2
Joining in

Hi,

we have been with VM for phone/BBand/Mail/TV since 1994 but over the weekend all the secondary email accounts stopped working.  I tried to reset the password as a first resolution but VM system told me it needs a non-VM email account - why? if it's for security reasons you can do 2 Factor Authentication using SMS on my O2 mobile which is good enough for banking.

I had to reset the password in June to an app password for the mail client on laptop.

I tried to call 150 but got message of very long waiting times

Any suggestions please?

Rob

9 REPLIES 9

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Robdd2,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear your secondary Emails have stopped working.

have you tried signing into your Online Account to see if you can access the Emails there?

Regards

Paul. 

Hi,

thanks for suggestion which I tried, my laptop signs me in automatically so I tried to change password via Account Details but it still says I need to verify with and external (non-VM) email address as shown below.  I also tried device authentication but on a laptop how do I use a QR code?
Currently since Friday we are locked out of all 4 secondary accounts
Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 16.07.33.png

Thank you for that information. Have you been able to try this on different devices and web browsers?

^Martin

Hu,

above was done on MacBook using Safari (default browser), I have just tried with Firefox and get the same result (i.e. I need to get a non-VM email address to authenticate device and change password). I can supply screenshot if required

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob

Ask them to try this Sign in to My Virgin Media. 
Go to Account settings, then Account details. 
Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail. 
Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Get password. 
Continue the flow and a new secure password will be generated, and the mailbox unlocked.
Leave it around 15 minute befroe trying to access your emails.
Update any third-party apps that may be use to access your Virgin Media Mail emails with this new app password.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks John, as soon as I get to <Get Password> it comes up with the <Verify it's You> as above.
I also downloaded Chrome but when I try to login now I get the screen as below which comes up before it even asks me for a password.

I am using a modern MacBook Air on the latest OS with patches and I seem to get the same responses with all 3 browsers (Safari/Firefox/Chrome).

Thanks Rob

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 08.37.14.png

Hi @Robdd2 

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hockeybear
Joining in

I'm having a similar experience that feels like a catch-22 situation.

I was locked out of my emails this morning and phoned 150. The agent reset the password but I still couldn't sign in while on the phone so she referred the matter up the chain.

I then got what I assume is a standard email starting "Your Virgin Media email account may be compromised and you need to take action". I'm assuming this is all I'll get from the VM techies and it's not just a holding message?

So I've done step 1 of what they instructed me (virus scan) - all clear.

At step 2, logging into my VM account with the password I was given over the phone, I can go as far as the Generate new App password but then, to verify it's me, I get prompted to sign in with a different email address.

If I edit the sign-in email address I get "You've recently requested to change the email address you use to sign in to My Virgin Media. Please check your emails and verify this change before making further account changes."

I haven't received any further emails and it just loops if I click Save.

Grateful for any insights!

Hi Hockeybear, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that the emails have stopped working and will send you a PM so that this can be looked into further. 

Please look in your inbox for the message. 

Kind regards, Chris.