Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Email account issue with Microsoft 365

For historical reasons, my Virgin Media account is set up with a username on my own domain - say xxx@yyy.com. Because that domain doesn't appear to allow me to edit the SPF record, I can no longer use Virgin Media to send emails from xxx@yyy.com, although I can of course use it to receive emails sent to that address, given that I set up mail forwarding correctly. This hasn't been a problem until I tried to set up the account up Outlook in Microsoft 365. The issue is that the setup process does not appear to allow for a username that isn't the same as the related email address, which means that if I use xxx@yyy.com, the in principle MS 365 should be able to log on but won't be able to send its test email, while if I use my VM address, say me@ntlworld.com, then it can't log on, although if it had done so it could then send and receive emails. I'm looking for a way out of this - either to change my VM logon username to be my VM email address, or to set different username and email addresses within Microsoft 365. Can anyone help, please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email account issue with Microsoft 365

OK, this is really weird. I tried once more to set the account up, using my VM email address, and it seems to have worked. If I look under "server settings", it (unsurprisingly!) shows the VM email address as my username. If I try to login to webmail with that username, it fails, and if I try to change the username in Outlook to the one I know to be correct - which is possible now that the account has been set up - that fails. How is this possible? On both iPhone mail and Thunderbird the account uses the expected username.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Does this explanation help in any way:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Cannot-access-email/m-p/4291473#M194736

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that's the explanation - and I'd set up the other email programs so long ago that I'd forgotten that I'd used my VM email address as opposed to the one I used with My Virgin Media and Webmail.