cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email account details

Pj101
Tuning in

Hello Everyone atVirgin Media HELP Forum.

My first post after having a Virgin email since 2000, previous to that Cable &Wireless owned the accounts, and Virgin took them over.

My question is simple I think, but I am sure the answer will be traumatic!

Could anyone inform me where I find the account number for my email account?

Please be aware the email account is a Virgin.net account from 20+ years ago. This is an email account ONLY from many years ago.

Thank you, and I look forward to your answers.

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pj101

Could anyone inform me where I find the account number for my email account?

I am not a Virgin Media employee but here are my thoughts on that.

Actually, I think you have answered your own question when you say:

"This is an email account ONLY from many years ago."

To remain live, VM email accounts have to be attached to VM Broadband account so if your email account has only ever been just a stand-alone email account it does not have an account number.

The first thing to note is that the Virgin Media Broadband Account terms and conditions say that any VM email account (whether Virgin.net, Blueyonder, Ntlworld or Virginmedia.com) that is not linked to a VM broadband account will be closed 90 days after the broadband account is closed.

Looking specifically at virgin.net email accounts. Virgin.net addresses were issued either:

1. as part of Virgin.Net's original dial up internet access service or
  2. as part of their ADSL (non cable) broadband service.

The dial up service required you to dial up once every six months to keep the email account alive. Virgin finally switched off that service in 2013 so any dial up virgin.net email accounts that did not get linked to a Virgin Media broadband account should have been closed in 2014.

The Virgin ADSL service was sold to TalkTalk in 2014. Those ADSL customers that took out a Virgin Media cable broadband account were allowed to keep their Virgin.net email accounts. Those that did not or could not switch to VM broadband  should have had their Virgin.net email accounts deleted by VM after 90 days after the sale  was completed.

In reality, in the past, Virgin Media seem to have been pretty lax about deleting unattached email accounts. However, last year they decided to stop issuing new email accounts to their customers and since then they do seem to be having a purge on deleting any unattached email accounts. VM still support the email accounts of existing broadband customers but the long term future of the VM email service is unclear.

I'm not sure if all this the traumatic answer you anticipated. Sorry about that.

One of the Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) will contact you via this thread in the next day or so. They should be able to give you the definitive, official answer.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sorry for the late replay, but changing emails attached to accounts has been a little time consuming!!

Yes you are correct, and I understand everything you state, I just wanted someone to confirm eveything I thought.

I have used the email for about 25 years since taken over by VM from Cable & Wireless in 2000 ish. The email have been used daily since then and attached to an email client, and also cloaked under a web domain. You can tell the address has been used as you suggest. However, I think the problem came by a conflict with a Virgin when booking a holiday with them, and their confirmation email was seen as a threat. Who knows.

Anyway after changing everything I could, I did find a solution, and that can be seen here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Suddenly-can-t-log-in-to-Virgin-email-account/td-p/523681...

I just wish Virgin staff are aware how important this email could be to some people, as when setup the users are now 20 years older than then!! These people do not want the hassle of ringing up and not getting the correct information from the VM staff. The information I was told from every single person at VM was, ''Your Account Is closed''. 15 people in VM gave the same answer, and all they had to say was ''Have you tried changing your password and leaving for 24hrs''

When I posted for the first time I mentioned they kept asking for an account number, hence my post. I thought I was missing something, and just wanted confirmation which you kindly helped me with. I 100% was aware there was no account number, but the VW staff had no idea what I was talking about.

Anyway, I hope this get round, and maybe, just maybe VW staff can update users in a similar situation.

Thanks for your confirmation by the way, I thought I was going mad!!!