Menu
robinghill
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Email - Your mailbox is not available at the moment. Please retry again in one hour

Hi DJ

I keep getting the above message. I see from some discussions that the email server has to be reset for my individual account. Could I please ask you to arrange for this to happen.

My account number is [REMOVED] area 11.

with many thanks 

Robin Hill

[REMOVED]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email - Your mailbox is not available at the moment. Please retry again in one hour

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry that you're having some issues whilst trying to access your email account via our webmail.

Are  you able to just confirm whether this email account is attached to an active Virgin Media account with us? Or if you have moved home since this email address was created?

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
robinghill
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email - Your mailbox is not available at the moment. Please retry again in one hour

It is a blueyonder.co.uk email address. I have had it since NTL was in business. I have moved addresses several times. I have been at this current address for 5 years.

I normally get my emails via Outlook 2007. By coincidence, after many, many failed attempts,  I have recently upgraded my desktop computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. As soon as I got the computer back from the technicians, I downloaded my emails successfully using Outlook. This worked once, possibly twice, and then I started to get the message "Your mailbox is not available at the moment....." I immediately logged in to Virgin Media site to download my emails and got the same message. The same message comes up automatically whatever work-around I might try to do. Even if you come back 3 days later,  the message still pops up as soon as you try to access your mailbox.

In answer to your specific question; is the email account  attached to an active Virgin Media account? The answer is yes. I am still paying my virgin media bills and I still receive my Virgin Media bill via this account. Incidentally I am paying for a Virgin Media internet connection in Edinburgh (Area 11), but no telephone (just the internet service) although I currently live in E. Sussex and access the mailbox from here.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@robinghill  You mention NTL in connection with your blueyonder email address.  NTL never used that domain, it was used by the Telewest cable company that joined forces with NTL prior to the joint company purchasing Virgin Mobile in the UK.

I mention that as it may be relevant to whether the address is properly tied to your current account.

You should be able to check this by signing into your My Virgin Media account with your primary username and password.  Does the email address concerned appear in the Virgin Media mail section under the My Profile tab, scroll towards the bottom of the page, or is it listed under the Manage Account tab as a secondary address.

If it doesn't show up in either place it isn't tied to your account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

robinghill
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Graham, thank you for your interest in solving my problem.

In answer to your question; My email address is listed at the top of My Profile tab. There are no entries under the Managed Accounts tab.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@robinghill wrote:

Graham, thank you for your interest in solving my problem.

In answer to your question; My email address is listed at the top of My Profile tab. There are no entries under the Managed Accounts tab.

That isn't good news.  The entry at the top of the My Profile tab is your current primary username.  That can be any email address from any provider. It doesn't mean that the email account is tied to your current VM broadband account.  If it was it should also appear in the Virgin Media Mail section of My Profile.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

robinghill
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham 

You are quite right. Under "My Services" is a section subtitled "Virgin Media Mail". Under that, there is only one entry which is a computer generated email address for virginmedia.com which was issued to me when I first signed up for a Virgin Media account. 

Does this mean that my blueyonder email address/ account is not tied to my current VM broadband account. In which case what do I need to do?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@robinghill wrote:

Hi Graham 

You are quite right. Under "My Services" is a section subtitled "Virgin Media Mail". Under that, there is only one entry which is a computer generated email address for virginmedia.com which was issued to me when I first signed up for a Virgin Media account. 

Does this mean that my blueyonder email address/ account is not tied to my current VM broadband account. In which case what do I need to do?

It probably means that your blueyonder address in classed as 'orphaned' see this post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/m-p/3492073#M173058

The VM Forum Team may be able to carry out a 'Move & Transfer' to move the address to your current account.

robinghill
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham

Thanks for that link. Yes; I have a blueyonder.co.uk email address. Yes; I pay for Virgin Media broadband services to a rental property in Scotland, so I am technically a real, fully paid up, Virgin Media customer. No; I have not received any warning that my email address is going to be cut off. Yes; it does appear that I have an orphaned email address, possibly because I have changed my billing addresses in recent years (4 years ago) or closed one Virgin Media account and opened a new account (back in 2011).

Right now I cannot access the online email. I can get into "My Profile". I have tried changing my password. I received a email to say that the change was successful. I have the computer generated email address for virginmedia.com but I do not know what use it can be to me. I cannot remember the password for that email address. It was given to me about 15-20 years ago.

Please can you tell me what I need to do. I would like to keep my old email address (who does not?). Please can you give me some advice.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi robinghill,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having with the email address. 

What I will do is private message you so we can look into this, 

^Martin