Menu
Dinghello
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Email SMTP issues: "Unable to verify account name or password"

Like others on the 'resolved' thread, I've been having issues for days sending mail on my ntlworld.com account both via mail client on Mac OS X and on my Android phone. I've been receiving with no problems on both, it's just when I try to send it doesn't work. It's OK on webmail, sends no problem, and today on the phone it is now sending messages with no problems.

I've reset my VM password on the website and re-entered the same password on the Mac mail client server settings, but when I do this I get the same result as if I try and send mail or under Mail Connection Doctor for SMTP settings: 'Unable to verify account name or password'.

Can anyone help? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Dinghello
Joining in
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email SMTP issues: "Unable to verify account name or password"

Hoping some kind soul knows how to resolve this. I'm stuck as it is and unable to send my mail via my mail client. I don't get why the password on the VM site doesn't seem to relate to the one on my email client. 

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dinghello,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry that you currently having issues sending emails form your NTLworld.com account.

Please check the link  here for further help regarding this issue. You may also want to check your email settings here

If after the above you still require further assistance please come back to us.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Dinghello
Joining in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jodi. The first link is about how to set up the account, but the account has been operating this way for over a decade. The settings are all correct, as far as I can see. My issue seems to be with the password not working. Should I try re-setting to a different one on VM site and then seeing if it works on the Mac mail client? Already done this once and it didn't, but maybe it would now... 

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dinghello,

Thank you for coming back to us, yes please try the forgotten password link and change it once done try to access your email again.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Dinghello
Joining in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul, 

Tried again and this time it's worked. Not without some complications as two accounts show in my preferences server settings, one of which has virginmedia domain as IMAP host and ntlworld as SMTP host, and the other has the reverse. The former is the one that enables me to send mail but was showing as offline. Anyway, now sorted. 

Is it acceptable to raise another issue here, that may be related? My inbox (on mail client, phone and webmail) used to have email going back years in it. Now it has nothing older than Aug 27. Fortunately all the important stuff is in folders and this is unaffected, but it's annoying. Is there anyway of retrieving my inbox archive? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dinghello,

I will look into this for you, once I have an answer I will come back to you.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dinghello,

Thanks for your patience, please can you check on web-mail to see if your older emails are showing there, you can log in via our website here .

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Dinghello
Joining in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for getting back to me. No change, I'm afraid. Same on webmail and Mac mail client: nothing before Aug 27. 

Can anything be done? 

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dinghello,

I have reached out to one of my colleagues for help on this, as soon as he gets back to me I will let you know.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos