Menu
Darkness2k
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email Restoration

Good Morning,

Following an unpleasant experience using the Sync Accounts feature of Outlook.com and keeping my VirginMedia mailbox empty (don't trust the word import!), I'm now in a position where I'm after email recovery.

Is this something someone @VirginMedia can help with?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Restoration

Hello

What are you trying to recover i.e. from what email address just post the domain side of things the bit after the @.

If you are trying to recover emails from the virgin media email system, if they are not in the webmail then I am afraid they are gone.

Where were the emails saved ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Darkness2k
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's more a restoration over time - not from a specific address.  They were stored in the Virgin Media mailbox.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Are still available on the webmail at https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/email/mailbox if they are not then I am afraid that they can not be recovered.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Darkness2k
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Nope, they are gone.

No backups of the email service then? 😐

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

VM do not do backups of the emails I am afraid it is the responsibility of the customer to make sure they have backups.

Regards Mike

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM’s Acceptable use policy -

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy

particularly para 6.5 - makes it quite clear that that it is YOUR responsibility to back up the contents of your email account.

Whilst VM does have recovery procedures for data loss arising from hardware and software failures at total Email Service level, VM has never offered a recovery service for individual user emails which have been accidentally or deliberately deleted.

No major email provider will guarantee to recover lost or deleted individual email data. In a recovery situation their focus is to be able to recover the service following any major failure, from the system backups. The policy of various email providers about individual email data recovery varies from - “if it’s not in Trash it’s gone” - to “we will also look in some of our backup disc storage which we recycle every 7 days approx”.

Gmail - “When you delete a message, it stays in your Trash for 30 days. After that time, it will be permanently deleted from your account and can't be recovered.”

Yahoo - “If any of your emails have been deleted or gone missing in the last 7 days, you can submit a restore request and we’ll do everything we can to try to recover your lost messages.”

Microsoft Outlook.com - “When you accidentally delete an email message from your Outlook on the web email, you can recover those items if they're still in your Deleted Items folder, and in some cases, you can even recover items after the Deleted Items folder is emptied.”

VM’s policy is similar to Gmail – but the Trash is (supposed to be) emptied after 7 days, not 30.

Darkness2k
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh well, worth a try.

0 Kudos