cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Problems

Jovi
Tuning in

I'm having some problems with my Virgin email (NTL World email from days gone by).

The account was hacked a week ago so we reset the password immediately, and we notified Virgin through their phishing email. We have also reset the app password as suggested by the auto-response from the phishing email reply.

Since then our entire inbox has been emptied (not by us). We receive new emails sporadically and then they disappear within an hour or so. This is affecting webmail and the mail app on iphone and on ipad, they all exhibit the same behaviour.

I have reset the email again and it continues to behave the same way.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Jo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jovi Have you checked via VM webmail for the email address concerned to see if any filters have been set to automatically divert incoming mail to the hackers account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jovi Have you checked via VM webmail for the email address concerned to see if any filters have been set to automatically divert incoming mail to the hackers account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Good thinking, that didn't even occur to me. But no, I've had a look and there are no forwards set up on our email account.

Jo

Jovi
Tuning in

There's no filter rules or anything out of the ordinary that I can see applied to the account

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Oh dear, that is a trick often used by hackers so disappointing that hasn't resolved the issue.

There have been numerous reports here over the years of emails mysteriously disappearing by people who use Apple devices.  Worth checking that no settings have inadvertently been changed in your iPad or iPhone.

Hi Graham,

This is not a connectivity issue between the server/webmail and the Apple devices, they are not even linked to the account anymore.

The problem is that the emails have all disappeared from the webmail/server.

The emails only disappeared after we notified the 'phishing department' at Virgin Media.
It is behaving as if Virgin has decided to clear the server at their end.

Jovi
Tuning in

Can a mod mark this as 'unsolved' please?
I marked Graham's response as 'helpful' (because it was helpful), but unfortunately is not the solved yet.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Don't worry about the resolved tick, it won't stop the VM Forum Team from picking up the thread.

I will escalate it to them for a response.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider trying following in webmail:

• select ⚙ > Security
  • set Automatic sign out to 5 minutes
  • wait 5 minutes for automatic sign out to occur
  • sign back in and set Automatic sign out to previous value

Does the issue persist?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Jovi 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry for the email issue. Have you followed the advice on this help page

If any emails have been deleted, I am sorry that we would be unable to retrieve those.

Keep me posted.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill