Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Email Not Secure?

I no longer trust my Virgin Email (blueyonder.co.uk) address. The following appears in the top bar after I log in to look at my email: 

Not Secure  l https://mail2.virginmedia.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&folder etc.

Should I be worried? Could it be because I am running Windows 7 on my computer? Do I need to upgrade?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am a total computer idiot!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email Not Secure?

What browser are you using when you see that message? What security software are you using?

Although Microsoft have said that they will no longer update Windows 7, that does not automatically render it unsafe to use provided your other security measures are up to date.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Modern web browsers will flag a secure web page (HTTPS) as insecure if it fetched content from an insecure (HTTP) source; read more here. In webmail the most likely cause is an inline image in a message sourced over HTTP; note by default webmail is set to not show such image without user confirmation. Navigating away from such a message and refreshing the web page (Ctrl + R) will restore the secured state.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have read this answer but dont know what to do to solve this "Not Secure" problem with my email browser.

I am using Google Chrome & Avast Antivirus.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello OW

Checking that link you sent and it is coming up here as safe 

As previously advised most modern Web Browsers give this warning 

Have you tried the link on a Mobile Network as well

Gareth_L

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@johnblakemore wrote:

I have read this answer but dont know what to do to solve this "Not Secure" problem with my email browser.

To better illustrate the cause an image of Glenda, the Plan 9 bunny,  has been inserted below causing the connection status to change to insecure; had the image been source over a secure (HTTPS) connection the secured status of the connection would have been maintained.

To restore the secure connection status navigate away from this thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As you are using a PC, just press the F5 button on your keyboard. That will refresh the page and the Not Secure message will go away.

I've just had to do this!

0 Kudos