cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Locked

EllBuller
Joining in

I stopped being able to send or received emails from my virgin media account today.

When I try to log in I get the below message;

Your Virgin Media Mail account is currently unavailable

This is either because your Virgin Media Mail account is locked, or because you don’t have an active account with us anymore.

If you have an existing Virgin Media Mail account with us, please follow the steps below, as your account may have been locked as a security precaution.

I have tried to follow the steps but am not getting the option to change my mail password, only my virgin media one (which I have done) and it didn't work. I have tried chat and calling virgin media but nothing has helped. Please can anyone help me?

Ellen

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EllBuller  The password for the My Virgin Media account and the associated email address are the same.  However, you also need to generate an app password for use with email clients as part of the process to unlock the account.  It seems that this is required even if you don't use an email client.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Graham-A 

how do I do this please? I’ve always just used it through the mail app on my phone. 

I’ve changed my virgin media password on my laptop but it’s not working either on there or on my phone. 

Ellen 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

As part of this process you will also be asked to change the username for the account to a third party email address.

https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

I don’t have the ‘mailbox app password management’ option in my account details so I can’t see any options to update anything. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EllBuller Sometimes it takes several page refreshes before the option shows.  The VM Forum Team should be able to investigate this for you when they reach this thread later this evening.

Hi @EllBuller,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling to reset the password for your email account to regain access. The option should certainly be there. Would you mind clearing cache and cookies and then giving it another try? If that doesn't help, is it possible to try from a different device?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I have tried clearing everything and from my phone and laptop and it’s still not giving me an option to change my mail account password. 

Hi EllBuller,

Thanks for coming back to us.

Can you please send us over a screenshot of the options you can see? It may be that you need to click on another sub option first before this setting is visible. If any personal details are present in the screenshot, just blur or cross these out please.

Thank you

Beth