Menu
alan5151
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Email IMAP server timeouts

This is a follow-up to 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/RESOLVED-Intermittent-Email-Issue-POP3/m-p/4331521

After 168 messages , we are no further forward what -so- ever. A VM support person suggested I should raise NEW query, so here goes. But of course this simply prolongs the rather hopeless search for an answer. 

I have WLM on Win7 PC : yes I know its old software , but  there is no reason why it should not work.  It does  "some of the time". HOWEVER , increasingly frequently I get : 

Your IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on your system.

Configuration:
   Account: alan-xxx ;    Server: imap.virginmedia.com ;   User name: axxx@blueyonder.co.uk
   Protocol: IMAP ;   Port: 993 ;   Secure(SSL): 1 ;   Code: 800ccc0f

Unable to send or receive messages for the alan-xxx account. Header download for the 'Deleted Items' folder did not complete. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server Response: Your IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on your system.
Server: 'imap.virginmedia.com' ;Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F; Protocol: IMAP

It is NOT memory : I've checked frequently and there is plenty spare on my PC. Every time you click "send/receive" the VM server refuses to connect , so it hangs , then gives this time-out message. Repeated tries eventually connect. (But often a message supposedly gets "sent" , but fails to "move" from my local outbox to local "sent items" , so you never know if its actually gone. ) Likewise , if you delete a message locally its keeps coming back from the VM servers.    This has got a lot worse over the past couple of months. It varies a lot depending on the time of day. 
0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email IMAP server timeouts

Do you use any third party antivirus?

Unfortunately I too get errors syncing my ntlworld & virginmedia accounts under WLM, if I then sync manually it works.
I’ve set the same accounts up under Windows Mail app & there’s no problems there so it’s a Live Mail problem imo as it’s so out of date.

0 Kudos
alan5151
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have AVG (free vsn). 

Not aware that is a potential issue?

Looks like I will have to migrate to new mail client . WLM  pretty much stopped working all together now. Pathetic VM.

I see you mention windows mail. Is that OK with Win7? I see the in structions to download and set it up look a bit complicated. Other suggestions are thunderbird or EMClient?

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Iirc Windows 7 does come with it’s own email client but it’ll be older than Windows Live Mail, you’d probably require thunderbird or something similar.

I run Defender so I doubt the AV is the cause but some suggestions state it’s a firewall error.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@alan5151 wrote:

I have AVG (free vsn). 

Not aware that is a potential issue?

Looks like I will have to migrate to new mail client . WLM  pretty much stopped working all together now. Pathetic VM.

I see you mention windows mail. Is that OK with Win7? I see the in structions to download and set it up look a bit complicated. Other suggestions are thunderbird or EMClient?

The fact that Windows Live Mail is no longer supported by MS and is riddled with operational issues can in no way be blamed on Virgin Media.  

Thunderbird is a common third party email client, I don't particularly like it personally, but that is just my preference.

I use Bluemail on my android phone and have no issues with it.  I think they may now have a Windows version available.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
alan5151
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well I migrated to Thunderbird , which seems to work fine , though just very occasionally it hangs very briefly. I fully understand WLM is ancient , but I guess we'll never know what changed recently to make it inoperable. It cannot be  the code on my PC , so must be some VM upgrade that stopped it working.Whilst I agree it is unreasonable to expect VM to work with all "legacy" software , I still maintain their cust svcs really folk are extremely unhelpful, and offer no "tech" support. I was prompted to try their tech support "chat" a few weeks ago. That "service"  is quite absurd. It is not real time...30 min response , so imagine how long it would take even to explain the issue let alone conduct a dialogue/ diagnostics. Just a joke. 

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It’s most likely that Microsoft are removing the code for Live Mail with every update.

0 Kudos
alan5151
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just for clarity , my issue was with Windows Live mail. And I am still on Win7 , with updates turned off so I dont think the PC software would have changed.

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There still may be emergency security updates released.
In any case Live Mail is no longer supported by ISPs etc.

0 Kudos