cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Folder Still showing Can't Delete

Mag01
Joining in

Hi I was sorting through my sub folders and I had a folder called Trips in that folder was one email from years ago.

I decided to delete the folder and it wouldn't allow me so I deleted the email within it and the folder then disappeared. It did not go to trash and nor did the email that was within it. Both totally went without a trace.

Thought all was well until I looked at my emails on both of my mobiles and saw that the sub folder Trips is still there. I can't do anything with it mind you. 

So with a bit of digging around I found the folder Trips under; Settings - Email - Change IMAP Subscriptions. 

However the folder is greyed out and I cannot tick it. I can add a new subfolder under it but it still doesn't show up under my emails when viewing them on my browser.

Basically I want to get rid of the folder and I can't. I have no idea why.

The screenshot below shows the error message on one phone unfortunately I cannot upload the image of the folder in question as the picture exceeds the size limit. 

• Screenshot_20211103-222654.png

I really hope someone can help as it's driving me crazy! 

13 REPLIES 13

WelshGasman
Superfast
Are you using IMAP?

Hey WelshGasman  thank you for the reply ☺️ I am indeed using IMAP and have tried to delete from the webmail already I believe but unfortunately to no avail.

Do you have any other suggestions? 

my suggestion (from an amateur) would to make sure 'sync' is happening (between your mobiles and what other device you are using..)

Hey albob, I've already checked all of that out and everything is syncing as should be thankfully ☺️ the said folder is showing on webmail still but not in the obvious place but I can't do anything with it and it shows on my phone etc still but it's useless can't do anything with it at all. 

maybe -- restore the folder on webmail ; sync ; delete folder on mobiles ; delete on webmail ;sync  (?????)

You could try creating a folder by the same name and in the same location?

Just want to see if it complains that a folder of the same name exists or not?

If not, the folder is a 'ghost' folder for some reason?

Just trying that to find out more about the problem.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The grey coloured folder name signifies its \Noselect attribute is set meaning it can contain subfolders but should not contain messages. It would be helpful to see the folder's attributes. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following command where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v imaps://imap.virginmedia.com -u username:password

For example:

> curl imaps://imap.virginmedia.com  -u richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" aaa
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" aaa/bbb
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" aaa/bbb/ccc
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "/" "Sent objects"
* LIST (\HasChildren \UnMarked) "/" Archive
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "/" Archive/2015
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Drafts) "/" Drafts
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Junk) "/" Spam
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Sent) "/" Sent
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Trash) "/" Trash
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" INBOX
​

Post the relevant resulting output here taking care not to post the curl command, for example if you want to just delete the folders aaa/bbb/ccc then post:

* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" aaa
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" aaa/bbb
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" aaa/bbb/ccc

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Correction: there is no need for the -v argument with the curl command. Corrected command to use is:

curl imaps://imap.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Hey, I was able to create a subfolder under it on the imap subscription setting which then brought it back to  life on my web browser, I couldn't see the folder until creating a sub folder under it. I then tried to again delete the folder but there was no option to do so. I could delete the sub folder under it but that was all.

It would appear the folder has turned into a ghost folder for some reason so to speak.

I'm at a loss.