Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Email Filter Syntax

Is their any help file that gives details of filter syntax when trying to filter via email header contents ? 

The Add Rule dialogue simply shows "Name" .

My problem is relating to getting rid of some tiresome SPAM being sent to my ntlworld.com account. Specifically it shows in my inbox as :-

From: "asda-announce-bouncesmailto:u+vulJ7J8K7yZuh5CTuACWHR7De6xVGhS2C3BzDAaA"@email.turnoutpac.com <"asda-announce-bouncesmailto:u+vulJ7J8K7yZuh5CTuACWHR7De6xVGhS2C3BzDAaA"@email.turnoutpac.com> On Behalf Of Enhanced Keto - BBC

I've setup a filter :-

Condition : From contains bounces

Action : File into Spam

However that doesn't appear to be working.

The header information contains a "Sender" which matches what I'm trying to scan in my "From Action" but also contains "Received:" records which contains things like "md5.tb.ukmail.iss.local", "smtpclienthelo", "mx10.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net" followed by IP addresses.

The "From" contains " =?UTF-8?B?RW5oYW5jZWQgS2V0byAtIEJCQw==?=" <DoNotReply@NextEmail.co.uk> which appears to be a variable so I don't believe I can use that in the filter.

Any suggestions as to how I can "bin" these emails ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Filter Syntax

Help in this similar thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Rejecting-spam/m-p/4124726#M184399

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham, been there, not enough detail for header detail filtering

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Just so you're aware

md5.tb.ukmail.iss.local - is part of Virgin Media's inbound mail system, so don't filter on those headers anyway or you'll get false positives galore.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 57
Flag for a moderator

@Canarytops1 wrote:

My problem is relating to getting rid of some tiresome SPAM being sent to my ntlworld.com account. Specifically it shows in my inbox as :-

From: "asda-announce-bouncesmailto:u+vulJ7J8K7yZuh5CTuACWHR7De6xVGhS2C3BzDAaA"@email.turnoutpac.com <"asda-announce-bouncesmailto:u+vulJ7J8K7yZuh5CTuACWHR7De6xVGhS2C3BzDAaA"@email.turnoutpac.com> On Behalf Of Enhanced Keto - BBC

I've setup a filter :-

Condition : From contains bounces

Action : File into Spam

However that doesn't appear to be working.

Only user side issue I can imagine causing the above rule not to match is if a prior rule matched had Process subsequent rules deselected; E-mail Filter Rules list will show this rule with a 🚫.

The "From" contains " =?UTF-8?B?RW5oYW5jZWQgS2V0byAtIEJCQw==?=" <DoNotReply@NextEmail.co.uk> which appears to be a variable so I don't believe I can use that in the filter.

Any suggestions as to how I can "bin" these emails ?

=?UTF-8?B?RW5oYW5jZWQgS2V0byAtIEJCQw==?= is a value (not a variable) and modern email clients (supporting unicode) will display this as Enhanced Keto - BBC. If none of the people you correspond with use unicode characters in their email display name then you could filter these emails with:

Condition: From Contains: =?UTF-8

Also consider adding a Set colour flag action to your rules to help identifying which rule matched an email when viewed in webmail.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi Canarytops1,

Using the multi filter rule From / Regex that Graham linked you to (see message 3 on the linked page) is working for me, sending "DoNotReply@NextEmail.co.uk" straight to the spam folder. Have you a bash at it? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the replies/links.

Graham_A : My initial reply was based on the first link I followed, I didn’t realise the wealth of info therein !

VIP : Process subsequent rules is selected for all my rules

Boothy99 : I’ve added a new rule and will monitor.

I guess I don’t understand the different header fields eg my initial rule was “From contains” but the target appeared in the “Sender” field in the header, my new rule will target the “From” field, although most of the referenced examples appear to be referencing “Sender” ?

My original request was for info about filter syntax, for example I haven’t seem any reference to what values can be entered in the "Name" field below 2019-12-25_095945.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Looks as if my attempt to post a screen scrape has failed somewhat !
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 57
Flag for a moderator

FYI: posted images are moderated, then there is a delay before they appears.

Limited help can be viewed by selecting the circled question mark within the Create new filter / Edit rule windows.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 57
Flag for a moderator

That's where this thread started. The "Name" field I wanted to check in the header was "Sender", when I select that there doesn't appear to be a "Contains" option only "Matches", I was hoping to find out if there were wildcard options etc.

By the way the new rule "Contains DoNotReply@NextEmail.co.uk" works !

(Furthermore thanks, hadn't realised images were "moderated").