Menu
Pompey0368
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email Error 550.5.1.8 Sender Domain Invalid

I use virginmedia email as my base, but I use domain forwarding to keep a personal address.

I use outlook (desktop client office 365) as it specifies the reply address to be my personal one, so technically my virginmedia email in invisible.

It has been working fine for years, but without me making any changes to the account settings in outlook, I am getting an error trying to send:

Email Error.png

It was definitely working up until about 2 weeks ago, and I still receive messages OK, I can't find any settings that have changed on my Domain forwarding, but I don't think it's getting that far.

How do I verify the email address with the mail server?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Error 550.5.1.8 Sender Domain Invalid

Posted image was rejected because it revealed your email address.

Sender Domain Invalid (VM420) error indicates an issue with the From address's domain but AFAICS it is valid. Try again and if the issue persists check the From address value is correctly entered.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Pompey0368
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've checked the mail client settings and the domain is correct, but something has changed on Virgin's side, as it was working a couple of weeks ago. I can still receive emails, and visit the domain

Email Error.png

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can successfully send emails with a From domain of OokBooks-Disc.world using Thunderbird and OpenSSL making it more likely the issue lies within Outlook. Can you try creating a new user account in Windows, sign into it, start Outlook, add the email account experiencing the Sender Domain Invalid error and then sending an email to see if the problem still occurs.

0 Kudos
Pompey0368
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'll give it a go, but it was working, and my other account that has forwarding is fine, so I assumed it was virgin rather than outlook - I can delete the account and set it up again...

0 Kudos
Pompey0368
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That fixed it, thanks - must have been something in the settings got corrupted

0 Kudos