cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Distribution List Max Size.

daveb3650
On our wavelength

Hi, I have a list of 146 people that I need to send out an email to every week.

I have just tried it and 46 got returned - so i'm assuming that Virgin have this set as 100 max. 

Is there a way of having this increased or do I have to create a second email distribution list for the last 46.

Cheers

daveb3650

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What reason was given for the returned emailed?

FYI:

What is virgin media’s email sending limits

Send a message to more than 500 recipients or a large number of undeliverable emails and your account will be temporarily locked and disabled for up to 24 hours – it’s Virgin Media’s way of stopping abuse and spam. This can also be triggered when unsupported third-party software accesses your account or your entire Virgin Media mail account is downloaded to another mail app.

You can send a message to 100 people on Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail – Instant Message Access Protocol (IMAP) or Post Office Protocol (POP) email apps.

[source: How to send an email | Virgin Media Help]

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @daveb3650 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Apologies but I am afraid that only a maximum number of recipients can only be 100 at a time, there are always limitations on emails being sent in bulk along with spamming guidelines. We do apologies about this. - SB

I guess if I want to send 150, create a list of 100 under a name, eg LIST 1,and send it, then also create another of 46 under a different distribution group name LIST 2 and send that separately.I think that might do what I want.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@daveb3650 wrote:

I guess if I want to send 150, create a list of 100 under a name, eg LIST 1,and send it, then also create another of 46 under a different distribution group name LIST 2 and send that separately.I think that might do what I want.

To be honest, most if not all "free" email services have fairly tight limits on the number of cc's and bcc's per individual email.  They also usually have limits on:

• the total number of email recipients you can send in an hour
  • the total number of email recipients you can send to and a 24 hour period.

I know that VM did have limits like that in the past and I assume they still do.

Email providers do that to try and prevent their accounts being used by spammers. Many of them tend not to publicise the exact details of those limits because that would allow spammers to work around them. For example, as far as I am aware Gmail don't publish the exact limits they apply to free Gmail accounts.

Things are also complicated because many email providers vary their limits depending on factors such as:

• how long the email account has been in use. (A newly created account would have a lower limit than a well established one.)
  • whether the email account gets a lot of undeliverable error messages. (Getting a lot of undeliverable errors strongly suggests a spammer at work.)

As a comparison with VM, the usual recommendation for free Gmail accounts is to have a maximum of 100 recipients per email.

If you have a requirement to send a lot of emails to large distribution lists you may well find you will eventually need to move to a paid for, business, email service or you will always find yourself juggling to keep within the limits.😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks