cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Changed and Apple Mail Access

jackeyres
On our wavelength

I'm having the proverbial nightmare.

My wife cannot access her virgin.net mails via Apple Mail. They just stopped coming through. I tried to delete the account and add it again but I kept getting "account and password not recognised" notifications

So then I tried changing her email password to see if that helped. But somehow I've managed to change  the email address she needs to access her mails via the Virgin website. She now has to log in using my email address, which I supplied as an alternative, because I can't revert to her old virgin.net address.

And I've tried to change my address to one of her alternative addresses, but the verification email either doesn't arrive, or arrives too late, ie, it has expired.

So if anyone can help with any of that lot I'd be very grateful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jackeyres 

In the last few months Virgin Media have made a number of changes to improve the security on their email accounts. Sadly these changes have not been widely publicised - hence your confusion.

1)  "I've managed to change the email address she needs to access her mails via the Virgin website."

In fact that is what you have to do now. VM are insisting that all customers use non VM email addresses as the username to access their VM email accounts.

2)  "I've tried to change my address to one of her alternative addresses, but the verification email either doesn't arrive, or arrives too late, ie, it has expired."

There is a known issue with Gmail sub accounts not receiving VM's  verification email. By sub account I mean address such as "billgates+name@gmail.com" addresses where the "+name" part differentiates the sub account.

If you are using a Gmail account there is another trick you can use. Gmail ignores any  "' . "  in the address but VM takes account of them. So, in the billgates@gmail.com example,  if you set " bill.gates@gmail.com " as the VM username itwill be accepted by VM as a new address but their verification email will be sent to the "billgates@gmail.com" account. So try adding a " . " into your gmail address.

3) "She now has to log in using my email address, which I supplied as an alternative, because I can't revert to her old virgin.net address."

She will have to use a non VM email address from now on. VM no longer allow you to use the VM address as the signin username.  However, that will not affect her virgin.net emails, they will still have the VM same address as before.

4) There is one other security issue that you have not hit yet.

VM now insist that if you use an email app, presumably on your Apple device, to manage you VM emails, then you have to generate a separate "mail app" password to use in the settings of the email app rather than the password you use to access the VM email account on the VM website.

To get the mail app password, follow these steps:

Sign in to My Virgin Media for that email account
a. Go to Account settings, then Account details
b. Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
c. Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions.

A new secure password will be generated for you. Your app password (in the format word-word-word-word) can be used for all apps accessing your Virgin Media mail address. If you create a new app password, you’ll need to update all your existing apps with the new password.

To sum up.

It is a pity that VM did not publicise the changes a bit more but hopefully this post helps you in some way.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jackeyres 

In the last few months Virgin Media have made a number of changes to improve the security on their email accounts. Sadly these changes have not been widely publicised - hence your confusion.

1)  "I've managed to change the email address she needs to access her mails via the Virgin website."

In fact that is what you have to do now. VM are insisting that all customers use non VM email addresses as the username to access their VM email accounts.

2)  "I've tried to change my address to one of her alternative addresses, but the verification email either doesn't arrive, or arrives too late, ie, it has expired."

There is a known issue with Gmail sub accounts not receiving VM's  verification email. By sub account I mean address such as "billgates+name@gmail.com" addresses where the "+name" part differentiates the sub account.

If you are using a Gmail account there is another trick you can use. Gmail ignores any  "' . "  in the address but VM takes account of them. So, in the billgates@gmail.com example,  if you set " bill.gates@gmail.com " as the VM username itwill be accepted by VM as a new address but their verification email will be sent to the "billgates@gmail.com" account. So try adding a " . " into your gmail address.

3) "She now has to log in using my email address, which I supplied as an alternative, because I can't revert to her old virgin.net address."

She will have to use a non VM email address from now on. VM no longer allow you to use the VM address as the signin username.  However, that will not affect her virgin.net emails, they will still have the VM same address as before.

4) There is one other security issue that you have not hit yet.

VM now insist that if you use an email app, presumably on your Apple device, to manage you VM emails, then you have to generate a separate "mail app" password to use in the settings of the email app rather than the password you use to access the VM email account on the VM website.

To get the mail app password, follow these steps:

Sign in to My Virgin Media for that email account
a. Go to Account settings, then Account details
b. Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
c. Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions.

A new secure password will be generated for you. Your app password (in the format word-word-word-word) can be used for all apps accessing your Virgin Media mail address. If you create a new app password, you’ll need to update all your existing apps with the new password.

To sum up.

It is a pity that VM did not publicise the changes a bit more but hopefully this post helps you in some way.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

jackeyres
On our wavelength

Brilliant. An answer for every misstep I took. I'm very grateful - thanks.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jackeyres 

No problem, I'm glad you found it helpful. I hope you can follow those steps to get your VM account sorted.

If you do find a problem following them just post back and a member of the forum will help you through it.

Coenoby

jackeyres
On our wavelength

I have a new problem!

When my wife signs in and goes to Account Settings the Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password option under Virgin Media Mail is not there.

It used to be, but not any more.

If it ever reappears, and she generates the 16 character password, is that the one she uses to login to Apple Mail, along with her virgin.net address?

Thanks (again) in advance.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jackeyres wrote:

If it ever reappears, and she generates the 16 character password, is that the one she uses to login to Apple Mail, along with her virgin.net address?

There do seem to be some strange things going on with the My Virgin Media account screens at the moment. It went missing for me late yesterday evening but it is back now!

manage app passwords 2.png

I took that screen shot a few minutes ago.

Just to confirm, once she has the new mail app password that is the one to use in the password field in any email apps but the email address in the app settings should be the virgin.net address.

Rather confusingly,when she signs into her Virgin.net email account on the VM website she will need to use the non VM email address as the username and the "normal" password rather than that mail app password.

Post back again if the "Manage mail app password" box still fails to appear.

Coenoby

jackeyres
On our wavelength

Thanks (again) Coenoby. I'll report back.

jackeyres
On our wavelength

IMG_7740.jpeg

So….

I’ve followed your instructions (I think) and added the newly generated password when trying to add Virgin to Apple Mail. And it won’t work. What do you think I’m doing wrong?😎

I think I followed your instructions, but when it came to entering the new password on Apple MaiI got this. Can you tell me where I’m going wrong?

IMG_7740.jpeg

jackeyres
On our wavelength

Fixed it.

The trick was add the account via System Settings, follow the steps above and ignore “unable to verify account and password.” Despite the warning, both were recognised and the account is set up.