Menu
Morphvr6
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email Blacklist

So what is the point of email 'blacklist' when it appears not do actually do anything....

I add SPAM to the blacklist, and more come along the next day, again adding to the 'blacklist' just to be told it is already within the 'blacklist' ?? what...? so why was this email put into my inbox then if it is already noted within the 'blacklist'?

I have created so many rules to delete and discard these spam emails that I get error messages that my rules and blacklist are full...

I mean, I would not mind so much if these filters actually worked in the first place...

So what is VM doing about the increasing amount of spam emails? if anything??

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Blacklist

If blacklisted emails are diverted from your Inbox to the Spam folder then the Blacklist function is working as intended; and whilst this may not be the expected behaviour it is sensible as it allows recovery from misidentification.

A workaround to the rule limits is given here, Re: Virgin Mail spam filter is useless

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Morphvr6
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi
Thanks for your reply, however, the 'blacklisted' emails are not been diverted and are still within the main inbox not the spam folder, so when I select these to be added to the 'blacklist' I am prompted that it is already in the 'blacklist' so why is it not been diverted to spam??
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

To help troubleshoot the issue can you try the following to help determine where the fault may lie:

1. select a blacklisted message that arrived in your Inbox and which causes a “The address you are trying to block is already on your blacklist.” error if you attempt to blacklist it
  2. inside the message's header select > Create filter rule
  3. Give the rule a meaningful name and then: (a) delete the Subject condition; (b) add a Set colour flag action then save the rule
  4. select > Settings > ▸ Email > Filter Rules
  5. Drag and drop the Blacklist rule using the handle to the bottom of the list
    NB this will allow the the rule created in step 3 the opportunity to run

When  you next receive a message from that sender in your Inbox can you confirm if its flag has been set to the colour specified in step 3 above?

Do no forget to restore the Blacklist position and to remove the rule created in step 3 when finished with troubleshooting the issue

0 Kudos
Morphvr6
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Blacklist SPAM EMAIL out of control

So

I would like to ask what, if anything, is VM doing about the number of SPAM emails that are coming through.

As of the past couple of months, the number of these spam emails is increasing every day! some of these can easily be identified as spam from the sender's email address been made up of nonsense characters or just jibberish...

At no stage dose it seem VM is trying to stop these, only evidence I have seen so far is VM blocking these when trying to forward for report phishing. So, I ask why these getting sent to us when VM is capable of stopping them been emailed for reporting? you clearly have the system programming in place just not for customers.....

Blacklist - FULL

Filter Rule - gave up trying to count the number of entries I have so far and adding at least 12 more a day!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Blacklist SPAM EMAIL out of control

Your post back in July mentioned blacklisted emails were still arriving in your Inbox; attempt to (re-)blacklist then would show an error message that address was already blacklisted. What was the result of trying the filter mentioned here.

With the number of filters you are having to create / manage to process misidentified spam have you considered changing email service provider? The benefit of doing so may include: (a) better spam filtering; (b)  security that is equal to or greater than the service it is used with; (c) fear of losing email address is no longer a consideration when choosing an ISP

0 Kudos