Menu
rifleman
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Email Address Hacked

Hi   I could really use some help and advice from the community. My primary email address has been hacked and I have suffered weeks of emails claiming that I have requested password changes from Microsoft Apple Facebook Booking.com ect    Is there any way that I could change my primary email address and delete my current one to stop this ?  

Any help would be welcome

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Address Hacked

First - you should definitely try to regain control of the email address for your own financial and data security.  Follow all the advice here.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Then set up your preferred NON-ISP email address and migrate all your contacts and services over to that address.

After that, the answer is no - the address cannot be deleted.  VM say if you stop using it for 90 days, then it is deleted 60 days after that (IIRC the numbers of days).  But I don't have any evidence of that, and more complaints of the opposite - addresses still active, even though people thought they were deleted.

But here is my work-around:

1. Leave Virgin services - get a good deal elsewhere for a year or two (don't forget to use a cashback site)
  2. Wait 90 days for automatic deletion
  3. Run the email address through mailtester.com to be sure it is deleted
  4. When it shows as still valid, contact VM to have it deleted manually so your personal and financial details are not stolen and used against you
  5. Return to Virgin with a new customer deal (don't forget to use a cashback site)
  6. Enjoy your non-VM, non-ISP email service from a provider that invests in good spam filtering, modern security techniques, strong passwords, etc

Best wishes!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @rifleman

Thanks so much for popping to our Forums - sorry to understand you've had some issues with your emails. 

Have you already changed your password to your email at all?

Unfortunately we're not able to delete or remove a Primary email address 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

rifleman
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank You both for the quick and helpful replies I have migrated all emails as per advice I have secured all sensitive services with a new email address and passwords I agree that maybe its time I got a better deal elsewhere and hopefully after a period of time this will stop I thank you again and pray that whomever I go to has such a helpful community
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Glad that you have been able to update your information @rifleman

We do hope that you choose to stay with us - if you ever wish us to take a look at your packages for any other offers that may be available, please just give us a ring on 150/03454541111 and the teams will be more than happy to take a look for you

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide