Menu
colinmel
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email Account Spoofed and Locked

One of my sub email accounts was locked (I presume) 24 hours ago after it had received a couple of bounced spam messages that were not sent by me. I have changed the password but still cannot access this email account. I guess someone from VM needs to unlock this account?  Please help!!!

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Account Spoofed and Locked

Your addressed wasn't spoofed. It was hacked. VM will lock accounts when they detect spam being sent using your credentials. Now that you have changed your password wait here for the VM staff here to help you unlock the mailbox. They'll be along soon in this thread.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

colinmel
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re-post: Email Account Spoofed and locked

(re-posting as I accidentally marked first post as solved - doh!)

One of my sub email accounts was locked (I presume) 24 hours ago after it had received a couple of bounced spam messages that were not sent by me. I have changed the password but still cannot access this email account. I guess someone from VM needs to unlock this account?  Please help!!!

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey @colinmel,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post on our forums.

I'm really sorry to hear that this has happened to you, I have been able to locate your account via your community profile and refresh your mailboxes and their connections to the server. Please could you try to login and let me know if anything has changed.

Regards,

Steven_L 

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Re-post: Email Account Spoofed and locked

@colinmel wrote:

(re-posting as I accidentally marked first post as solved - doh!)

You really need to appreciate that just because you didn't send the messages, that doesn't mean that they didn't come from your account.

VM constantly fight a battle to stop spam being passed through their servers by hackers.  They are fully aware of the difference between hacking and spoofing.  Mail sent has a number of markers in Virgin Media's logs.

Mail From: - Can be spoofed.
Rcpt to: - Can't be spoofed as this is where the mail is sent.
IP address - can't be spoofed as such but can be redirected via a proxy on a third parties machine.
Username and Password - Can't be spoofed as these credentials are used to authenticate the send.
Date and time of send.

So they can differentiate between the following:
Mails sent using your email credentials.
Mails sent using your IP address..

So if VM are locking your account, it's the former that's triggering it.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

colinmel
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My daughter tells me that her email seems to be working now 🙂 Thank you very much for sorting this out.

Is there anything we can do to try and prevent this happening again?

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @colinmel,

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear that this has all been sorted and resolved now.

If there's anything further that we can assist you with, please do let us know.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Try using as strong a password as possible.  Even with the limited character choice VM offers it's still possible to make a fairly strong password using a random letter and number sequence.

Avoid passwords such as Leicester123 (and yes I have seen that used)  Even though VM's system might regard it as strong, it's really not..

Tim