cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email 403 forbidden error

Jhughes518
Joining in

I am receiving the error ‘Forbidden’ when I try to access my mail.

• multiple devices (phone, 2 laptops)

• clearing cache did not work

• Firefox, edge and chrome have all been tried with the same error 

I have important info I need to access on this email ASAP and there is no way to get through to virgin on this. Can anyone advise on a fix outside of the above please?

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jhughes518 wrote:

Can anyone advise on a fix outside of the above please?

Some forum posters in exactly the same situation have reported that the 403 Forbidden error was resolved when they reset/changed their VM password.

Here's an example https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Error-Code-403/ 

Coenoby

Just in case you don't know how to reset the password yourself here's what to do:

Sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn   using the VM email address and existing password of the account you wish to reset.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.
Then click on the "Account settings" tab, then  the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password. While you are on that page, make sure you set up a Password Recovery Question.

You don't mention whether you also use an email app or client to manage your emails in addition to the VM webmail service, but in case you do:

Virgin Media have recently made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

To do that scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".
You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp
You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the email apps on your various devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ianfwhitehead70
Tuning in

I have phoned Virgin Media customer services about 5 times within 2 weeks.  They have changed my password 3 times but I am still getting 403 Forbidden.  I haven't been able to access my blueyonder email account since 19/6/23, I am getting very worried I may have lost my email account forever.  If I follow the instructions here described by Very Insightful Person, and I am grateful for the information, will it sort out the problem?  The 150 Customer Service line have tried to sort out me getting access back to my email by keep on resetting my password, I am on my 4th new password now, but the 403 Forbidden sign keeps appearing.  I have used Chrome, Edge and Firefox but the same 403 Forbidden sign remains.  I have had no emails since 19/6/2023 with my blueyonder email and I have very important information there.

They have referred it to their Technical Team once already but they didn't sort it, they didn't even phone me to discuss the problem, or send me a text.  I have phoned 150 again today, Customer Services have referred it to the Technical Team again today in addition to giving my 4th new password in 2 weeks, I am still getting 403 Forbidden, and now I have to wait for them to look at it until Wednesday of next week.

Please can anyone help?  Thank you.

Hello ianfwhitehead70

We're sorry to hear of the email access issues experienced since June, we appreciate the concern and you taking the time to raise this via the forums.

We would recommend following the steps set out by Coenoby, this will help reset the password as we have been advised this will resolve the issue.

Let us know if this works 🙂

Rob