Menu
Bandsman
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

EMAIL CLIENT ASKING FOR MAIL SERVER PASSWORD

My email client  has suddenly decided it needs to confirm my mail server password.   It has not asked for this for ages and I do not remember it.   It's one of those NTL world passwords.   I also cannot remember my Virgin Media password.   I am do not have any details of my account as Virgin just take money from my account and I do not receive anything in writing, either via email or post.   I have tried ringing them and they state it will be an hours wait. due to Covid, which obviously I can understand.   Any ideas?

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: EMAIL CLIENT ASKING FOR MAIL SERVER PASSWORD

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-username-and-password

I have never tried it, but it should work, well... might work.

Your username should be the name of your mail email address if you used that for e-billing.  Course, as you say your getting no email statements then perhaps you used a different email in the past.

Take this as a might/might not work.  I don't have my DD at hand, but if you can view your direct debits online, the "Reference" number on the DD might be your VM account number.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cant edit my previous message.

The Direct Debit reference shows your account number, but not the area your in.  You can find your area code without the bill (Google "Virgin Media" "Area Reference" mytown), if no luck then the first part of postcode or your City/Town would be needed for someone to help you guess that.

The Direct Debit reference will have some other numbers than your account number, use the first 9 digits of the reference and that's your account number.

It should be the same for everyone I would think.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The password request might actually be a red herring.

Have a look at my post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks