Menu
Owen1966
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

E mails not sending

Hi, I cannot send e-mails via my NTL e-mail address on my windows 10 laptop (Outlook) or iPhone (. On my laptop I keep getting a dialogue box asking me to confirm the password. I enter the correct password but the box keeps reappearing. I can access the e-mail account via webmail so I know the password is correct. Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

Owen.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: E mails not sending

Hello
Thank for joining in on the forum, we will try the best to get your issue resolved.

First I would suggest to following to find the error that you are getting on your email client :- Look here to get the error logs:- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237..., if you do have an VM305 error then more than likely the spambot was asleep as spamhaus will automatically remove after 2 days of no spam activity, if error then follow :- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

You can check your listing yourself but there is no point requesting removal until you have found and deleted the spambot. https://www.spamhaus.org/query and type in your external IP you can gets this my typing "whats my ip" into google.

If you are running Hola VPN Free, then note But Hola Free VPN is anything but a VPN.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Owen1966
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks for your help.

I got the following results from Spamhaus. What should I do now?

XXXXXXX is listed in the SBL, in the following records:

XXXXXX is not listed in the PBL

XXXXX is listed in the XBL, because it appears in:

Thanks.

Owen.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yep something on your home network is sending spam via a spambot you need to follow https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Owen1966
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi, sorry forgot to say that the log shows a message saying 'authentication denied (VM305)

Thanks.

Owen.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

In the meantime, if you have urgent emails to send, you should be able to use the webmail option, as that uses different servers and authentication.  Or you can use a different IP address - such as at work, public place or neighbour/friend - or a phone data connection.  I know that is not easy, what with one thing and another.

BUT DON'T PUT OFF FINDING THE SPAMBOT, PLEASE.  Your system is sending out spam to thousands of innocent parties, and who knows what other malware is on your system stealing your personal data.  If you need assistance, the community will help you, and you can always ask a trusted tech advisor to assist in your home or remotely.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Owen1966
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the help.

I deleted my NTL account from my laptop and it now will not allow me to add it again. My iPhone is telling me that I have the wrong user name or password when sending e-mails? Have I been blocked? If so how do I get my account unblocked one I get my local computer shop to check for spambot as my windows security is not picking anything up.

Thanks.

Owen

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you will remain blocked until you clear the spambot.  Instructions are in the links already posted.

As MissPasko pointed out you can use webmail in the meantime.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I really despair of this. We give advice. You do something different and then expect us to help you sort it out.  Look. Anti-virus software and malware detecting software don't work with spambots very well. That is because spambots are written in a way that means they can hide themselves from detection and go dormant. That is why we asked you to follow the advice on detecting spambots. If you found that difficult then you should have come back here and we would have helped you. But the advice we gave you was the only sure way of solving your problem. 

As long as you haven't deleted the e-mail address from My Virginmedia you should, in principle,  be able to add it back to your e-mail program. We didn't advise you to delete it so you did exactly that.  What do you want me to say?  As Outlook set-up depends on sending a test e-mail (what happens when you send mail from Outlook it gets detected because you have a spambot and VM refuse to send mail from machines that have spambots) so are you surprised you have an issue?

Try setting up the address manually in Outlook. Plenty of advice on the web on how to do this. The settings you need are here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/email-settings-for-all-virgin-media-domains

I think you can skip the test message part. 

But in any event you need to get the spambot found. We can try other simpler stuff if you want. These bots are commonly found on "broken" Amazon Firesticks which have had unauthorised software on them. It is known that people using the Hola VPN Free version are in for trouble - this program is not a true VPN, more a peer to peer networking device which uses machines to send spam. So if you have these, get rid.

Try using the free version of malware bytes (but only from malwarebytes.com). That may help find the villain. Otherwise using Wireshark is the ONLY way to remove this problem from your machine -apart  total clean reformat of windows which means you lose everything. 

You have some work ahead.

Owen1966
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, sorry if this is a silly question but who do I send the request to be unblocked?

Regards.

Owen.

0 Kudos