Menu
Cattail
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

E-mails - back up

Yesterday after a week of problems we lost all our e-mails, folders and contacts off Outlook.  Microsoft have been unable to restore them.  Do Virgin keep back ups - all that is on the server are thousands of back messages, no folders, contacts etc?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: E-mails - back up

no VM do not keep backups. Keeping backups would be your responsibility
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

With outlook a lot of the time the folders etc are  not stored on the VM servers they are mostly stored on the PC, if the folders etc are not on the Webmail then I am afraid there is no way of getting then back, as they were stored locally on the PC.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Cattail wrote:

Yesterday after a week of problems we lost all our e-mails, folders and contacts off Outlook.  Microsoft have been unable to restore them.

Too late to solve your current problem I'm afraid but for future reference here is how to do a back up of your emails and contacts from Outlook 365 / Outlook 2019 / Outlook 2016 /Outlook 2010 to prevent you getting into this position in future. 🙁

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/export-or-backup-email-contacts-and-calendar-to-an-outloo... 

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Cattail wrote:

Do Virgin keep back ups - all that is on the server are thousands of back messages, no folders, contacts etc?

What do you mean by “back messages”?

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Try using the Microsoft Inbox repair tool SCANPST.EXE on your .pst (POP account) or .ost (IMAP account) file to see if you can recover your emails and file structure. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-...

For the default location of these files see here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/introduction-to-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-222eaf92-a...

Good luck.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos