Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

E mail

Every time I select an e mail, I get the error message "Not Secure". Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: E mail

Where and when does this happen? If it's in web mail it is probably just because the mail contains an image which is not necessarily secure. So you get a warning to prevent you opening what might be an attachment carrying malware. But you give us hardly any information to go on so this is just a guess.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I get the message whe I try to view an e mail. It happens on my laptop and desktop computer.

I am accessing my e mail via Virgin Media Mail.

Thanks

Pete

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That would be it. The image is probably inserted from a link to an insecure site. Hence the message.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It does it when I open Virgin Media e mails and it did it when I accessed this e mail.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do you mean the e-mail that told you I had replied? That almost certainly has an image in it. VM mail warns you within he message to be careful when opening attachments. I suspect that your browser may be warning of of insecure connections so look for a setting there to turn off the warning.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Please do not make any changes to your web browser.

Modern web browsers will flag a secure web page (HTTPS) as insecure if it fetched content from an insecure (HTTP) source; read more here. As already stated by HowardML, in webmail the most likely cause is an inline image in a message sourced over HTTP; NB by default webmail is set to not show such image without user confirmation. Navigating away from such a message and refreshing the web page (Ctrl + R) will restore the secured state.

@ModTeam, forum email notification are triggering a browser's mixed content warning due to the following unauthenticated sources contained in the message:

http://my.virginmedia.com/images/emails/cosr/vmonwht.jpg
http://my.virginmedia.com/includes/emails/media_mail/images/icongrey_help_static.gif
http://my.virginmedia.com/includes/emails/media_mail/images/icongrey_my_contact1.gif

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello ITISMEPEDRO

Thanks for your post 

I can see that our Forum members have advised correctly how to fix this issue with your emails 

If you keep hold of this information that would help you 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you left click the Not Secure warning you get a popup telling you what the issue is:

2019-11-02.png

As has been explained, this is not an issue with VM's webmail service, if you use most other webmail services you'll also see the same issue.  Gmail cheats to get around this, but I'd rather not get bogged down explaining what they do.

In most cases when you view images in a HTML message, the images aren't in the message itself, instead you get a link to the image.  This helps keep the size of the email down.

If you look at a lot of image addresses, you'll see that they are still being sent over HTTP (in the clear) rather than HTTPS (over SSL/TLS)

This means that while the connection to VM's server is still secure.  The connection to the server containing the images isn't, it can be read and even modified.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry if I seem a bit thick, how do II rectify this? I get the message "your connection to this site is not fully secure."

0 Kudos