Menu
magpiebob
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

E mail hijacked by rouge account

A couple of months ago a friend rang me to tell me that he had tried a couple of times to send me an email and picture attachment to my blueyonder email address but his email had bounced back with a message that the addressee, "coolkitchernacc@gmail.com" was disabled. This is not my address and I have never heard of "coolkitchern" - note the unusual spelling.

A week or so later someone else rang me to check my email address because of the same problem. He was also  trying to send me some attachments (which might, or might not, be a common denominator).

I put it down to "one of those things" until I tried a week or so later to send an email and attachment (totally unconnected to the previous matter) to someone else using my usual email account. I was surprised to receive an immediate mail delivery notification indicating that the email could not be delivered to the recipient "coolkitchernacc@gmail.com. The notification also advised that the account had been disabled.

This has happened a couple of times since, both cases involving attempts at emails (with attachments) to my daughter ( who actually also has a blueyonder adddress.).

How can I get rid of "coolkitchern"

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: E mail hijacked by rouge account

check your email address fr forwarding and change all your passwords ont he email as well as all passwords on other accounts that use that email as the hacaker could of reset or accessed other acocunts
magpiebob
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your quick response. I should have mentioned that I did actually change my password on my email account not long before the last incident.
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@magpiebob wrote:
Thanks for your quick response. I should have mentioned that I did actually change my password on my email account not long before the last incident.

You do still need to sign into the account via VM webmail https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ and go to settings then email the autoforward to check for any strange forwarding addresses.  Also check under filters in the same area of settings.

If you find anything there that you didn't add then you should disable them and change your passwords again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
magpiebob
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham

I found that the name of the hijacker in Autoforward and deleted it, re-setting everything. Many thanks again

Bob

0 Kudos