cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mail forwarding

Smelter
Tuning in

Looking to leave Virgin Media (ntlworld.com). How do I get my e-mail forwarded to a new ISP? I know you can do it when leaving BT ( for a fee) but can it be done from VM/NTLworld?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

We are approaching the 5ᵗʰ anniversary of Google's announcement that Consumer Gmail content will not be used or scanned for any ad personalisation, read more here As G Suite Gains Traction in the Enterprise, G Suite’s Gmail and Consumer Gmail to More Closely Alig... ― the ads you are seeing are more likely derived from the other data points Google continues to gather about you.

This article DuckDuckGo launches new Email Protection service to remove trackers - The Verge would suggest that DuckDuckGo have no future plans of launching their own email service but instead will help better protect your existing email address with Introducing Email Protection: The easy way to block email trackers and hide your address

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can set up forwarding through webmail, however all Virgin Media email addresses should close 90 days after you close your Virgin Fibre service. There is no paid extension option for this.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Smelter wrote:

How do I get my e-mail forwarded to a new ISP?

The best long term solution is not to set up an email account with your new Internet Service Provider.

Or if you do, only use it for communications with the ISP themselves. I have been with VM broadband and TV for many years but never used their email service as my main account.

Also, of course,these days not many ISP's offer an email account to customers. 

Much better to set up an new email account with one of the many excellent free standalone email services. Check some of them out here: https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts 

Google's Gmail and Microsoft's Outlook.com are the market leaders but not necessarily the best for everyone.

The other option of course is to set up your own domain and email using a package from a hosting company such as https://www.123-reg.co.uk/  , https://www.ionos.co.uk/office-solutions/email-hosting  or one of the many other hosting companies. That is perfect if you are self employed or an independent contractor.

The point is that with any non ISP email service you can use your new email account not only with whichever ISP you are moving to right now but any others that you might use in the future. If nothing else it will make it much easier to switch ISP to get the best deals available at the time.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. Just what I was expecting. I have been moving over to Gmail for a while, but I'm not totally happy with their data harvesting, as I have noticed ads that have been generated from my mail, but then nothing is totally for free  If I do have to pay, then I'll wait until duckduckgo have one as I like the filter service they are trialing that strips out all the return traffic. Thanks again.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

We are approaching the 5ᵗʰ anniversary of Google's announcement that Consumer Gmail content will not be used or scanned for any ad personalisation, read more here As G Suite Gains Traction in the Enterprise, G Suite’s Gmail and Consumer Gmail to More Closely Alig... ― the ads you are seeing are more likely derived from the other data points Google continues to gather about you.

This article DuckDuckGo launches new Email Protection service to remove trackers - The Verge would suggest that DuckDuckGo have no future plans of launching their own email service but instead will help better protect your existing email address with Introducing Email Protection: The easy way to block email trackers and hide your address

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi Smelter, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear you are thinking of leaving us. 

Huge thanks to the community for their insight and support on this thread so far. 

You can see more advice and FAQ's on Email here. 

They are correct in advising that your email account should be deleted automatically within 90 days of the account closing. 

We do not currently offer a service for forwarding emails or retaining access to the address without active services. 

There have been cases where this has taken longer to complete than expected, however I would strongly recommend not relying on the email address as a primary account following the termination of your services. 

My personal advice is similar to that of Ceonoby - if you are reliant on an email service it is best to have this separate from your ISP to protect its longevity. There are such a wide range of options that you can tailor to your needs. 

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

All the best. 

Molly