Menu
AlanR2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

E-Mail Repeated Lock Outs

Over the last few months I've suffered repeated lock outs on my email despite following advice given. On the last occasion I was advised to change the email I use to log in and was told this would resolve things for good. Today I have again been locked out because my email may have been used to send spam. 

This is fair enough but for one thing EVERY time this happens my security questions fail as well. I actually do know my DoB and mothers maiden name, I have them right, but they never allow access back into my Virgin Media account. I then have to try and contact a real person to resolve this which takes up half a day typically. Why doesn't this system work? Why is it almost impossible to find a number to contact a real person on? Why isn't there any support for this issue and most importantly how will this be resolved once and for all? I am losing the will to live right now and definitely losing the will to stick with VirginMedia for much longer.

Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: E-Mail Repeated Lock Outs

Hi AlanR2, thanks for your post.

I am sorry you've had so much trouble with your email. I can appreciate the added frustration caused by the security questions repeatedly failing too.

When you are able to log in successfully - have you been able to check that the information for the security questions is correct on the account?

Tom

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I think I would be asking myself an additional question. Why am I getting locked out so frequently? And I would understand that the reason it happens is because the scammers and spammers are getting ready access to not only my e-mail address (not exactly hard) but also to my password. And I would be focusing on the password issue. If only I am supposed to know it, could it be possible that the device I am using has been infected with malware that is constantly disclosing the password to the spammers. Try the free trial version of malwarebytes (download only from malwarebytes.com).

As for the security question failures - what is supposed to happen is that the lock applied by VM is only supposed to affect the password part of the equation. But as with all things techy it seems also to affect the security questions process s well. Or worse still when the spammers gain control of your account they change the security questions to stop you taking immediate remedial action. . One way round it we have found (provided the spammers haven't been up to their tricks) is to trying entering the security questions answers in either all uppercase or all lowercase letters.

Also VM is a very good ISP. The broadband service is generally reliable and fast. But the e-mail service is a free value-added add on. There a better e-mail services out there which offer a greater degree of protection. They are free (ad supported). I long ago gave up using VM mail as my main e-mail service.  There is no reason to leave VM just because the e-mail service doesn't suit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
AlanR2
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I have verified the details each time and changed passwords. When I last had an issue I was told by VM to change the email address used to access the account which I did. I only use this account rarely and have no issues with any other emails or services I use. I have however yesterday gone through every site I use and set new passwords to and will configure another new one for the VM account once I actually get back in. 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All well and good and you have certainly gone over and above on security. But you haven't scanned for possible malware on your devices, unless you have and haven't mentioned. That for me is the key to resolving your issue once and for all.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
AlanR2
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard

I have asked that many times, mostly of VM staff who have assured me changing password and them resetting things should sort it. This is the only account I have issues with and the only service I have issue with. The email account is mostly maintained for my partner who has a VM email but mine is the primary account used for maintenance and checking bills - I am locked out of VM in its entirety btw, can't log in to anything.

On the last occasion I assigned my work email to log in to the account and another new password and reset the security questions. I have also checked my devices and ran scans - all clear for malware.

0 Kudos
AlanR2
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Howard, see separate reply to you re malware

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Now that is interesting - first no need for apologies. I just wanted to make sure all bases were covered. You have been diligent. But it is interesting that the problem may be more likely with your partner's account. VM tend to lock the whole bouquet of accounts when one them is seen to be sending spam. If you hardly use your VM primary account then I wonder if you shouldn't be concentrating your attention elsewhere, particularly if your partner is using a separate device to access her mail.

AlanR2
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

But weirdly it is only my account that gets locked. She exclusively uses an i-phone and an old i-pad, (a realm I'd rather not get involved in!) and her email is fine. because of that I've never considered her as the source.  Still worth exploring.

I wonder would deleting my old email and creating a different log in for VM resolve it? It would also be interesting to see what they are calling spam in case it isn't.

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

More questions, you are more than welcome. You cannot see what VM are seeing passing through their system using your account credentials. It is always spam and VM can tell that it it doesn't come from your IP address.

Look at your partner's account by getting her to sign out on her Apple devices (I'm with you on that one!) and you signing in to it on your device, as a secondary account. But as she is not getting locked out when you are then the likelihood is that it still your device that is contaminated. But you should check and change her security questions nonetheless.

Difficult one last. You talked a couple of times about changing the e-mail address you log in with. That should only be possible in one set of circumstances. They are that you use another address you have access to but which is not a VM address - so something like GMail or Outlook.com. The system does work if you try and change for a Virgin Media address but that can lead to unpredictable results and sometimes complete failure of your e-mail service.