cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dormant NTLWORLD account hacked!!! no support!

mchauhan1
Joining in

It seems as out 12th May 2023, like many NTLWORLD email account holders, have had their accounts hacked and now getting asked for ransom via Bitcoin!

I leave VM back in 2018 and was advised that my email account will be deleted within 90 days, however it seems that this has not happen. I still have this email address added to my mobile phone and as the account gets transferred over to new phones during this time, it has not asked me to enter passwords. however when my account got hacked i realised that this address was still linked to my Facebook account! so now i have lost account to my NTL address as well as my Facebook account!!!! i have tried to call VM 4 times and each time was getting conflicting information. 

I explained to them that I no longer have an account with VM and my email address is still active, however was advised that in rare cases, this has not happened! (looking at the number of users that have reported the same thing, it doesn't look rare!) another support member advised that they will send me a new password via post and the last member advised that VM have no access to NTLWORLD account as its too old. This is total rubbish as the emails still go through 'imap.virginmedia.com' servers!

Please can you contact me in regaining access to this account or just to delete it.

The next problem is trying to get in contact with Facebook which is impossible!!

4 REPLIES 4

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello mchauhan1, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

We are very sorry to hear of the issues you have faced with the email account, we will be able to help.

To have the account deactivated, we will just need to take a few details via private message so I will pop this over to you now. Please check the red bar at the top of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

Karin2
Tuning in

I have exactly the same problem but unfortunately not only Facebook but many other accounts affected. About 12 different one. virginmedia is saying they cannot help. 

Could you also help me please? I reported it to action fraud too.

Hello Karin2.

Sorry you have had to bring this to our attention on our community.

I would be happy to take a look at getting the email issue resolved for you. 

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check your envelope at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L