Menu
freddikins
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Difficulty signing in on my desktop

On Google Chrome. I put my email address, then Password, then click 'Sign in' but nothing happens.

There are no problems if I use Microsoft Edge.

Any suggestions please?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Difficulty signing in on my desktop

@freddikins
Any suggestions please?

The first thing I would try is to open an incognito window in Chrome and see if you can sign in from there.  Do that by clicking the three vertical dots at the top-right in Chrome and then click on the “Open a new incognito window” option.

If the VM website behaves  properly in Chrome incognito that strongly suggests there is a corrupt cookie stored in Chrome. (When Chrome is in incognito mode it does not use any cookies it has stored.)

Therefore try clearing the cookies in Chrome  - see here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en#zippy=%2Cdelete-coo... You only need to delete cookies relating to Virginmedia so check out the section headed  Delete specific cookies in that link.

Once you have deleted the VM cookies try signing in to Webmail again using the normal Chrome window.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
freddikins
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your suggestions Coenoby. I tried what you said - just deleted VM cookies - but it is still the same. being an old guy I'm not good with computers so I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a new computer.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@freddikins wrote:
 so I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a new computer.

You have said that the VM website works fine with Edge so the issue is not with your computer is it?

There's no need to buy a new computer unless you are secretly looking for a reason to buy shiny new one. I'm an old guy too by the way😉

Why not simply switch to using Edge as your browser?

Edge and Chrome are built on the same browser engine (Chromium) and there’s not a huge difference between them these days.

Did you try using Chrome's incognito mode by the way?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks