Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Delivery Status Notification

I usually use my blueyonder email address without any problems but today I used my iCloud address twice.  The first email seemed to deliver ok but the second, only 20 minutes later, resulted in the following message -

'Your message have been determined to be suspicious due to non-compliance with the SPF or DMARC policy for the domain icloud.com, which this message appears to have originated from.'  

I've had similar problems in the past with iCloud emails going into recipient's Spam boxes but this is a new one.   How on earth can iCloud.com be deemed to be non-compliant?  Is there any way that I can resolve this problem?  The message continues -

'The remote server returned the below error when attempting delivery:

554:554 Message rejected on 2019/11/01 18:37:27 GMT, policy (3.2.2.1) ID (5D6F8A0B0BA01B58) - Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM

Reporting-MTA: dns; know-smtprelay-9-imp [62.252.172.18]
Received-From-MTA: dns; [192.168.0.28] [81.111.174.205]
Arrival-Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 18:37:27 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822;  
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Message rejected on 2019/11/01 18:37:27 GMT, policy (3.2.2.1) ID (5D6F8A0B0BA01B58) - Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM

Last-attempt-Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 18:37:27 +0000'

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delivery Status Notification

Looks as if you might be trying to send your iCloud emails via the Virginmedia SMTP server. That might explain the non compliance report.  This may also  trigger  the spam warning.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Graham is spot on here.

You need to appreciate that many mail providers are moving to combat spoofing of valid email addresses by spammers.

One of the key elements to this is you MUST use the correct SMTP servers for the address you are sending as.  You can't send iCloud emails via smtp.virginmedia.com as iCloud have set up an SPF policy that says mail with an iCloud address MUST come from Apples servers.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202304

Edit - However IMHO the remote server did get this wrong.

iCloud's SPF policy does have a ~all final mechanism which means fail the mail but do nothing..
iCloud's DMARC policy is p=quarantine which means hold the mail for further processing.  In most circumstances this mail SHOULD end up in the recipients spam folder rather than being rejected.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks to both of you for the explanation.  

Slightly frustrating but at least I understand what's going on now.