Menu
mark_a_carpente
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Deleting secondary email address

Hopefully someone can help with this

Does anybody know if you remove a secondary email address from your account if it actually deletes it completely or just deactivates it ?

Basically I have an email address I will no longer be using due to hacking issues so what I want is if anybody accidentally sends an email to it they will get some sort of bounce back saying invalid email address or message undeliverable or something

Last thing I want is to delete it and it still be sat there recieving emails, me not having any idea they have been sent and the person sending them not realising they have used the wrong email address in case it's something important

I am not really sure what to do I would just like a definitive answer so I can be confident about deleting the email address as there seems to be some posts on here where the email is only being deactivated and not deleted fully

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deleting secondary email address

Hello

If you delete it, it is removed from the system and anybody sending emails too it will get a bounce back, be aware that once deleted it cannot be recreated again.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mark_a_carpente
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You say that but I do not have confidence that is what will actually happen

If you look on this forum there are many posts which suggest the email address remains available to recieve email and does not bounce back to the sender

This is why I am looking for claification

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@mark_a_carpente wrote:

If you look on this forum there are many posts which suggest the email address remains available to recieve email and does not bounce back to the sender

Of those posts I do not recall an instance involving user deleted email address; instead they showed server side failure where the automated process to purge email addresses linked to a closed account failed.

Consider creating the following filter rule to validate your concern:
2021-04-10.jpeg
Any message received into the deleted account's Inbox will be rejected with a message similar to the follow:

Your message to <richard.branson@virginmedia.com> was automatically rejected:
Unknown user

Try sending an email to the deleted account and if you receive a response similar to the following post back here to have the issue flagged to the forum team.

0 Kudos