Menu
Beckki123
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Deleting ntlworld. Still virgin media broadband customer

My stepfather has an ntlworld account that has been scammed. Police advise deleting email address. He has a new gmail account. He is still a virgin media customer for phone, broadband and tv. 
need advice on what he needs to do please? 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deleting ntlworld. Still virgin media broadband customer

Far be it from me to criticise the IT experts in the local constabulary (they were IT experts that gave this advice - weren't they?) but that advice is not what I would do.

My advice to your stepfather would be to get back control of the account properly with a new secure password and a new security question and answer. 

Follow the advice in the VM help files here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

then he can undo whatever damage has been done by the scammers to his on-line presence.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Beckki123
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you but It was a serious case and my stepfather is very old. He now has a different account. He wasn’t hacked. He was scammed. 
I just need advice on how to get the account deleted please? 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

My advice would be the same. Is the NTL world address his primary VM e-mail address? That is the address he uses to log onto My Virginmedia to see his bills and manage his account. It is probably his only e-mail address in which case it is his primary address. Primary addresses cannot be deleted by customers or by VM. That is why it might be important to get back control.  Things are not always as simple as they seem. Sorry for his distress but the advice I have given is designed to cover all bases.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It sounds like Beckki is saying that they haven't really lost control per se.

But that the father has fallen victim to a email that he was sent, as such the criminals now have a soft target and as such, he should stop using the email address (delete it) and start using a new one.

It's difficult to deal with these types of issues as they can often cause offense to the ones involved.  If you log into "My Virginmedia" you can change the email address that's tied to the account for logging in with, but like Howard says you can't delete the "primary" account.  As such I would just change the password on it and stop using it.  Leaving a un-used email account active is also good as it stops new people from getting that email name and perhaps resetting/logging in to sites that may use that email.

I would be tempted to perhaps take a more active role in monitoring your fathers mail, email, and phone communications as there's a good chance they have more info on him than just his email address.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@VMCopperUser wrote:

It sounds like Beckki is saying that they haven't really lost control per se.

As far as I am concerned whether they have lost technical control or not a successful scamming attempt points to what you refer to below, that they scammers know more personal details than just the e-mail password. That is why after such a distressing incident I always think the p/w should be changed. I used the advice on hacking to show the way.

But that the father has fallen victim to a email that he was sent, as such the criminals now have a soft target and as such, he should stop using the email address (delete it) and start using a new one.

Fine. As you know VM should inactivate unused e-mail addresses, but only after a considerable period of time has elapsed. Still needs a password change

It's difficult to deal with these types of issues as they can often cause offense to the ones involved.  If you log into "My Virginmedia" you can change the email address that's tied to the account for logging in with, but like Howard says you can't delete the "primary" account.  As such I would just change the password on it and stop using it.  Leaving a un-used email account active is also good as it stops new people from getting that email name and perhaps resetting/logging in to sites that may use that email.

100 per cent agree

I would be tempted to perhaps take a more active role in monitoring your fathers mail, email, and phone communications as there's a good chance they have more info on him than just his email address.

That would be a wise course of action to take.

0 Kudos
Beckki123
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You are absolutely correct. The email address is now know to the scammers. He doesn’t have an alternative VM address and now using a completely different email address. 
However I didn’t click about using the email address to login to Virgin Media. I will set him up with an alternate user to log in with. 
Thanks for all the advice

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It's not the e-mail address that is the security risk Millions of people must know mine. It is in use all over the place. The main defence is the password. And using an alternative address to log into My VM is prone to serious difficultly. Your stepfather could always have set up another VM address and use that for his e-mail while retaining the original address for My VM but with a new password. Be careful not to lose sight of the wood for the sake of seeing the trees.

0 Kudos
Beckki123
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It’s not access to the email address that is the problem. He does not want to login to the account and see any of these scamming emails and perhaps being drawn into them. Hence wanting to delete the email address 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I understand his reluctance to do that. Make sure he has a viable e-mail address to use with something like GMail or Outlook.com.  As for My VM you can do as you say. The substitute log-in address must be an address which is not VM based and you will need a new password. The guidance you have already helps you with that. I think, in all fairness to you and your stepfather, we ought to stop here.

0 Kudos