cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting an email account

carol1953
Joining in

I need to know how to delete a webspace email address I set up by mistake. I have looked everywhere I can think of but to no avail. Please help.

11 REPLIES 11

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@carol1953 wrote:

I need to know how to delete a webspace email address I set up by mistake.

To be honest I am not sure what you mean by "a webspace" email account. Virgin Media closed down their free Webspace service back in 2016. See https://store.virginmedia.com/special-offers/webspace-is-closed

Having said that, I know that VM do confuse things for their customers by still including a long out of date note to it in their "My Virgin Media" accounts.  Against the customer's Primary email account it still says "Note: This email address is linked to your Webspace." However, that is totally meaningless these days because VM Webspace no longer exists.

So, I assume that you just mean a normal VM email account.

If it is the Primary VM email account then it cannot be deleted. However if the email account is a secondary email address on your broadband account you can delete it by:

1. simply signing into your My Virgin Media account (that's the one that allows you to view your VM bills and package details) from here https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn 
  2. Then click on the "My profile" tab and go into "Manage Accounts".
  3. That will list all the secondary email accounts set up on your broadband account. Select the one you need to delete and click on "View/change" on the right hand side.
  4. That takes you to a new page where you get the option to delete that email account.

I hope that helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi 

Thank you for the reply. I can get as far as My Profile, and at the bottom, it shows this ("below my services" )

Virgin Media Mail

Virgin Media Mail address
Hidden name@virginmedia.com

Alternate email addresses
************@virginmedia.com

Note: This email address is linked to your Webspace.

I only set the thing up a few days ago but don't want it. I am unable to do anything at all to delete it. 

TIA of any advice

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@carol1953 wrote:
Hidden name@virginmedia.com

************@virginmedia.com

Thanks for posting that helpful screen shot. Well done for hiding the actual email addresses👍

However, can I just ask - are the two email addresses the same? Don't post the actual addresses just whether the "Hidden name" is the same as the "*****************" address?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Hi.

Yes, they are both the same.

Carol

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@carol1953 wrote:

Yes, they are both the same.

Ok, thanks.

Then looking at the screen you've posted it would seem that the email address on that screen is your Virgin Media primary email account. That's the one that you created when you originally set up your "My Virgin Media" account. That email address cannot be deleted, it is an integral part of your VM broadband account.

If that's not the address you want to delete but another VM email account that you have subsequently set up then you can do that.

Go to the very top of the page you have posted and click on the "Manage account" tab. You should then see a screen like this, this screen shot is from a laptop screen so if you are using a mobile phone it may look slightly different but the basics will be the same.

Manage email accounts.png

You should then be able to follow steps 3 and 4 that I set out in my first post to select and delete the address you no longer want.

See how you go with that.

Coenoby

There is no way I can get a screen that lets me delete that account. It isn't my virgin official email address. That one has my name (Carol) in it. I am wondering if I haven't finished setting up the "Florence" account so cannot delete it? When I click on My profile I get this:

Virgin Media Mail

Virgin Media Mail address
florence****@virginmedia.com

florence****@virginmedia.com

Note: This email address is linked to your Webspace.

Then, when I click on "Manage accounts" I see this:

Manage other My Virgin Media accounts

Share the love by creating My Virgin Media accounts for members of your household (or yourself). It means more people can get the most out of Virgin Media because:

• Each account comes with its own Virgin Media Mail address

You can create up to 9 additional My Virgin accounts. You haven't set up any additional accounts yet.

No option to delete anything. I'm completely bamboozled.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@carol1953 wrote:

There is no way I can get a screen that lets me delete that account. It isn't my virgin official email address. That one has my name (Carol) in it. I am wondering if I haven't finished setting up the "Florence" account so cannot delete it?

If the carol.........@virginmedia.com address is your primary address you need to sign into your "My Virgin Media" account https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn using that address to delete your secondary address.

The screen you have just posted (with the florence.....VM address) confuses me because it looks like the screen from a Primary account rather than a secondary account. The manage other accounts screen for example is (as far as I am aware) only part of a primary account, secondary accounts do not have the facility to manage other accounts.

Because something does not seem quite right here, I am going to escalate this to teh Froum Team (VM employees who support this forum). One of them will contcat you in the next day or so via this thread. They will be able to take a closer look at your account. It may be something very simple or perhaps not?

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see the answer.

Coenoby

Thank you so much for your help and patience with me. I am a pensioner and not very good with the technology thing but do enjoy trying.

Kind regards

Carol

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@carol1953 wrote:

Thank you so much for your help and patience with me.

No problem at all, thank you for the very clear replies. Not everyone is that helpfull with their responses. I am sure the Forum Team will be able to see what's going on when they check out your account.

I am a pensioner and not very good with the technology thing but do enjoy trying.

Me too! 😉

Coenoby