Menu
Larophile55
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Deleting Mailbox

Virgin

At a time of national emergency when you are running TV adverts telling everyone how much you are doing to keep us connected to our loved ones, perhaps you would tell me why you deleted my Virgin. Net  mailbox meaning I lost the ability to stay connected.Words do not begin to describe my feelings at Virgins blatant hypocracy I running those adverts. 

0 Kudos
paultechy
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deleting Mailbox

do you still have an active virginmedia account?, since if not email addresses would be deleted after 90 days, or if active account, if you sent to the virgin.net email address does it bounce saying not valid?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Larophile55
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response. I was using it if that is what you mean. Nothing bounces back. 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Larophile55,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

The email in question, is this connected to an active Virgin Media account?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Larophile55
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_GS,

Thank you for your response and words of welcome.

I receive no services from Virgin, unless you account the .net e mail address and make no monthly paments to Virgin.

Nevertheless, I was able to set up the e mail address some 11 or so years ago without a problem. For it to  work relatively smoothly for all that time and then be suddenly deleted without warning,notice or explanation is disgraceful,particularly at this time.  

Virgins current TV advertising campaign about staying connected sticks in my craw and reeks of hypocracy given that it has disconnected me.

Mind you, given the behaviour of its founder, Richard Branson, I am not surprised.

Kind regards

Larophile55

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you had a virgin.net address for 11 years it would have been set up when that service operated via a dial-up telephone connection. Virgin sold such services to Talk Talk in 2015. You would have been notified of that event at that time. You presumably declined to transfer to Talk Talk and continued to use the virgin.net address over a (non-vm) internet connection.

See this for background information -

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/virgin-medias-adsl-broadband-users-given-talktalk-marc...

Larophile55
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello BillC45

I probably was notified and did not think I needed to do anything. From your link the sale took place 5 or so years ago.

Nevertheless, Virgin arbitrarily deleted my mailbox without notice as I do not recall deletion being mentioned 5 years ago.

Larophile55 .

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us Larophile55.

I apologise that this has happened to you but any email address that isn't connected to an active Virgin Media account will be deleted after 90 days of your account being disconnected but sometimes this can be missed and the account stay open until this is discovered and then email address will be deleted. 

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Larophile55
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven_L

I don't doubt what you have said but the fact is that it was done without warning or notice.

For those reasons and given the timing it was a disgraceful and shemeful act on Virgin's part.

Larophile55

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

From the Forum, November 2014: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Virgin-Media-National-Switch/td-p/2550863

From the Wayback web archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20151027011900/http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/national/...

You would also have received postal communications from Virginmedia giving warning of the removal of their ADSL service and all that entailed.

If you did nothing you would have been moved to Talk Talk automatically, with further communications from them (Talk Talk) about the transfer of services, including information about the email service and how that would be impacted.

If you chose to move to a provider other than Talk Talk you would have made the arrangements yourself, and should have been aware of the restrictions relating to the use of the Virgin email service.

From the warnings and notice given at the time you had ample opportunity to make alternative arrangements for the provision of your broadband and email services. That you chose not to do so is down to you. 

On the upside, you have had five years free use of an email service which you were not entitled to use.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos