Menu
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Deleted secondary email not fully deleted

A secondary email address was deleted a few years back, it was used by a family member, doing some checks I have found the email address can still receive mail if I send to it, so is not fully deleted.

I would prefer to either re-open the address or to permanently fully delete it but email hippo lists this as a valid email address even though it supposed to be deleted. Sometimes data is kept for a fixed period prior to deletion, some companies use 270 or 360 days. The address is not listed on the virgin login but exists on the ziggo site which is virgin.

Please send a private message so I can discuss the email address and options, it may still be receiving mail to the address that is valid or from past contacts but I think most contacts were changed.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Deleted secondary email not fully deleted

Whilst waiting for the forum team to responds…

@ALF28 wrote:

… The address is not listed on the virgin login but exists on the ziggo site which is virgin.

Taking care not to reveal any personal information please detail the premise that led to the conclusion that the address exists on Ziggo's site?

FYI:  Ziggo's sign in page underscores a correctly formatted email address in green that may mislead the user into thinking the address is valid, that is not the case; Virgin Media's old sign in page had the same ill-conceived feature.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

used email hippo

My email address  report  via email hippo was email OK and data as follows-

I can send an email to the address so it must exist still or be in a de-activated state but can receive emails.

Domain Domain age 
virginmedia.com
 WHOIS
21 year(s), 9 month(s), 4 week(s), 1 day(s)
Email Services
Hosting provider ISPCompanyASNConnection type
Other
Vodafone Ziggo
Ziggo B.V
Corporate

Email Checker Business - Fast and Very Easy to Use (echecker.com.br) 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks, that makes sense now in terms of hosting the email service. Best wait for the forum team to help with restoration or permanent deletion of the account.

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

another test done

Free email address validator (verifalia.com)

Classification:

Deliverable
Valid email, with no high-risk factors detected: safe to send mail.
Status code:
Success 

The address is syntactically valid.
 The mail exchanger of the email address domain can be contacted successfully.
Generic status codes

Success

Valid email. Verification was completed to mailbox level. No high-risk factors detected. Safe to send mail.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These results seem to indicate the deleted secondary email still exists?? but the email address does not log in to virgin with the original password and can not be recovered, the email address is not recognised.

Can virgin confirm if the secondary email can be recovered (preference  option) or if not then confirm  it is deleted fully.

I have not disclosed the email address, but could discuss this with a private message.

It is some concern that an old deleted secondary email address may still be active to send email to, so not closed.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

recent posts indicate that a deleted secondary email prevents the account user from logging in but the email address still exists.

see   Solved: Deleting Secondary Email Address - Virgin Media Community - 4348713

So if the main account holder removes the secondary address it is delinking the address so it can not be used, but the email address is not deleted.

There does not seem to be a way for secondary email account user to delete their own secondary email address?

Having removed the address it can not be re-instated by the main account holder, so it is locked out but can still be active, this issue has not been resolved except by private message.

Can the secondary account holder request the email is re-activated or can the primary account holder do this.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

deleting email addresses-considerations

some companies do recycle email addresses after a period, so someone could have access to your accounts using that email address, so check the policy- some recycle , some do not, I think virgin do not recycle email addresses?

although deleted the emails are probably still stored stored on servers for records for security reasons

before deleting an email address think twice, download any data you want to keep such as photos, attachments, pdf's that you may want to keep.

may be wise to delete out all emails so inbox empty or print off any important ones.

there may be free storage attached, containing your data and linked to the email accounts (online drives), do not loose this data.

once deleted you may not be able to recover the email address, depends on the rules of the isp.

remove any email forwarding instructions in settings, or they may continue to forward, even after the email address is deleted

The email although deleted may still exist and can receive emails (in my case true)   or  may continue forwarding emails.

even though an email is deleted, most companies keep the email account for up to 1 year or more, some recycle after a short period-3 months,6months

most free emails if not used will de-activate after 90 days so you could lose access to all your accounts and data-not good- 3 months  is a short time, this is the case with virgin, although you pay for the broadband the email is a free one and can expire so online access to the virgin account would cease if you us the primary email to log in but virgin could de-activated the virgin email not used for 90 days??, perhaps that is why so many customers get locked out?

As part of a "paid package" the virgin primary email should not have a 90 day rule to deactivate if no log in/activity -that is draconian.

The virgin primary email is "attached" to the virgin account (and can not be removed) so should never expire after 90 days as it is part of the virgin media online  account package.I note the email is never listed in the package details as part of the service -broadband or mobile etc, yet without the email the account could not be managed as it is needed as a contact address.

So keep all your emails active and log on  regularly, and think twice about deleting email addresses- you loose all control once deleted.

secondary addresses are controlled by the account holder so the user or family member can be allocated an address but can not manage the email address themselves, other than password changes etc. so they are restricted users.

alf28

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hey @ALF28,

Sorry to hear that one of your former email accounts hasn't been fully deleted, if this is stuck in limbo between active and not, we cannot reactivate it but if the account is still active we can hopefully get it re-added to your account.

I will send over a private message in a moment, so that we can clear account security and look into this email account.

Regards

Steven_L

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for joining us on PM @ALF28

Just to confirm I have raised this with IT for deletion under reference P010332544

It'll be deleted within 3-5 working days which are their timescales

Kind regards

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

useful guides on isp email accounts and also 90 day inactivity 

Can I keep my old email address when I switch broadband? | TechRadar

Virgin Media Mail

No sure if forwarding within virgin email would  keep open an email account not used for 90 days?

I try to remember to log into all my email accounts often to prevent the 90 days inactivity causing the email to be suspended/deleted, but easy to forget to do this if you have many email addresses. The 90 days rule for virgin commenced on 8/9/2014.

It could be nightmare getting locked out of your email if not used for 90 days, but it can be reactivated within 60 days by virgin so I presume after 50 days the email is deleted or no longer available.

Some isp's do allow continuation of use of email if you switch isp, however third party email addresses such as gmail may be an alternative but they do also  have inactivity policies which can vary from 30 days to 270 days or 360 days, each email is different, unless you have a paid service then the email may not have this issue.

alf28

0 Kudos