Menu
yoghurt
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Deleted email

Sorry, I'm a numpty.  I've been having some trouble with my account and wanted to create a new username; long story short I messed it up and ended up deleting an email account that I wanted to start using as my main.  It's a baby account deleted this morning - can I get it back?

Thank you - I'm frazzled.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Deleted email

I doubt very much you are a numpty, but only you can decide that! What I can say is that if you are not used to the way the VM mail system and account creation systems work it is all too easy to go wrong.

So let's do some explanation first. The term "username"is better used for the primary (main) account holder and is the name (as an e-mail address) that logs you in to your primary e-mail account and also gives you full access to My Virginmedia. Within the VM system you can create a further eight e-mail addresses (secondary accounts) which you can use for yourself or allocate to family members. Each address can operate separately from the primary address. Each address can have (and should have) a separate password from the primary address (security reasons).

Now what you appear to have done is deleted a secondary account. You can't do anything yourself to get it back. And you can't recreate it. E-mail addresses are one time use only. However it is just possible that VM's IT staff can get it back for you. There is short delay between deletion that you do to full deletion from the VM systems. We'll keep our fingers crossed that you will be saved by that delay.

I will ask the Forum Team here to get in touch with you (watch this thread - it may take a day or so) and discuss retrieval of the address with you over the private message system. 

OK?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

yoghurt
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your help; I think numpty was the right word.  The email address I have as a username has come under a rather nasty spam / phishing attack so I was trying to disassociate it from everything useful / important / that contains any information.  I've discoverd that this isn't easy so I've settled for updating pasword etc. and will look into it when less frazzled! I do still want a different email address to use as my primary one and I liked the one I (albeit briefly) created.

Thanks again, stay safe (c:

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I don't know the technical reasons, but it is not wise to try to use a secondary VM email address as the sign in for the main billing account - I don't know if it is impossible, or just creates faults.

You CAN use any non-VM email address as the sign in username for your billing account.  Choose one that is secure (perhaps with 2FA) and has the support you need.

Your primary email address cannot be deleted from the VM system entirely, until 90 days after you cease being a customer.  We are told that after 150 days of complete non-use the mailbox goes dormant/locked (?).  But I only have seen anecdotal evidence here in the forum that it does NOT go dormant (i.e. people come here to complain about it still being open.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

yoghurt
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply and advice. I think then I really do need to talk someone within VM who can help me work out a solution to this.  For reasons too lengthy to share (hackers, enough said) I do want to completely get rid of this email address but the only none VM account I have is my works one and I'm not sure that is suitable.  I could do with getting some solid advice on what to do regarding that change and also see if they can reinstate the email address.  I do urgently want to change all the various sites that have this email as a username /  log-in including this site.

Thanks again (c:

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums

If you want to change the E-Mail address you use to log into your self-care account this would require creating a secondary E-Mail account in your self-care account and opting to use that to sign in via your self-care account.

In regards to other websites or it might be worth using the new secondary E-Mail account for these services too, or setting up an E-Mail account with a third party provider - outlook and GMail are popular options

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

yoghurt
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon

Thanks for your reply.  I'm back to my original problem of can deleted email addresses be re-instated?  I would rather avoid setting up another email account somewhere else because I won't ever check it, this is why I like the VM ones. I rather made a mess of things when trying to get rid of this email I'm afraid. As I said, I have a works email account but that will not necessarily be the same for ever as when I move roles I get a new address.

Thanks again for your advice, I'm hoping to get it sorted over the weekend.  Take care, stay safe.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The email address in question, was it actually deleted as in if you enter it in mailtester.com, does it say that it doesn't exist? If so, once deleted it cannot be be active again I'm afraid.

Regards,

Lisa

yoghurt
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

According to mailtester it is a valid email address.  Do you need all the associated bumpf?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good Morning Yogurt,

Let's see if we can find the E-Mail account and have this re-instated for you

If this has been deleted, this may not be possible but no harm in trying