cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete old ntlworld email addresses

pcb1
Joining in

Please can somebody help in deleting my old ntlworld account and all email addresses attached.  I have started to get threatening emails from this disused account.  I am no longer a virgin customer but need action ASAP please. 

45 REPLIES 45

MissPasko
Super solver

You have come to the right place, pcb1.

As you may know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer, according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the orphaned mailboxes deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few days and then take your personal details by private message.  Be sure to name all the email addresses so they don't miss one.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through https://mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello pcb1

Sorry to hear of the emails received but thanks for taking the time to contact us here on the forums.

In order to look into this further for you I will need some more details from you, I'm going to send you a Private Message to get these securely so we can take the appropriate steps.

Thanks

Rob

Hi  - I have the same issue. I have tried speaking to someone in the past to help but the account is still active. Please can you help. The account now only receives (a lot of) spam.

Thanks

Hi Emailtodelete,

Thanks for using the forums to get your Email deleted, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

I will need to send you a PM in order to take down your email, then I'll create an IT ticket in order to get this deleted off our servers - deactivating it 🙂

Speak to you soon!

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi Emailtodelete,

Thanks for chatting with me in our PM, I am glad to say that I managed to get this sorted for you.

The IT team will have your email deleted over the next 24 hours, after which your email will no longer be active.

Please come back to me if you have any more issues with this particular aspect.

Anything else, just create a new post and we will be along to help soon after 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi Megan,

Apologies if this post is old but I have the same problem as above and wondered if you could fix it.

i.e. My Husband and I are still receiving incoming emails on an ntlworld account which was closed a few years ago. Please can a ticket be raised to get the addresses removed from VM servers?

Hi @jennyjaney

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'll drop you a private message now to confirm some more details, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have this issue too - an old ntlworld address that now only attracts junk and scams. If it could be deleted that would be much appreciated. I'm a Virgin Media customer again now, but not with that account.

Thanks.

Hey @PN1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear that your old mailbox is attracting spam and junk scams, I can get this removed for you but would need to confirm a few details over via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.

Regards,
Steven_L