Menu
placidblue
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Delete old email address

I have an old virgin.net email address. I haven't used it in years, but it seems to be attracting spam email now, which is turning up in my inbox.

How do I delete the address?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delete old email address

Is the address linked to your VM broadband account?  If it is a secondary address (go to the Manage Accounts tab in My Virgin Media), then you can delete from that page.  I would recommend first deleting all the data (emails and contacts) via webmail.  Afterwards, check the mailbox has been deleted from the VM server by running the address through https://mailtester.com  If still valid, come back to the forum and ask for a manual deletion.

If it is your primary address, it can't be deleted.  You can change the username of your account to be a non-VM email address, and stop accessing the mailbox.  After 150 days it is supposed to become dormant.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
placidblue
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

No, it's not linked to my VM Broadband. I've only recently become a VM broadband user again, but the Virgin.net address is really, really old.

Does the same advice apply?

Thanks

Jonathan

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Jonathan, It sounds like you have an orphaned address.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

As you may know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer (or 1 year for virgin.net addresses IIRC), according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the orphaned mailboxes deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few days and then take your personal details by private message.  They are very busy with a major issue affecting customer email/mailboxes so please be patient. 

Just be sure you haven't got any other online accounts/services which need this email address as a username/sign on.   In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through https://mailtester.com.

Best wishes to you.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

placidblue
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, MissPasko - that's really helpful!

I'll look out for something from the Forum Team, soon.

Yours,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Jonathan, thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'll be more than happy to get this deleted. I'll send you a PM to get the details and then send it to our IT team

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

placidblue
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello, John_GS

That'd be brilliant, thank you!

Jonathan

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for joining me on PM @placidblue,

Just to update the thread, the IT ticket has been raised to delete the email account

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"