Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Delete blueyonder alias

Hello. I see from previous posts to the forums that I'm unable to delete an old blueyonder alias myself.  I have tried!  But because it's an alias and not and additional account there isn't an option to do this.  Please correct me if that's incorrect or has changed! 

One of my aliases must've been on a hacked list some time ago because the amount of spam it receives is incredible. Some of it is upsetting and threatening and I cant deal with it anymore.  I haven't used it for months and have moved all my subs etc to another email address.  Unfortunately the alias is linked to the primary blueyonder email address i use to login to the virgin media website and tv apps etc I need to (and want to) keep that email live.  And as it's all one account there is no escape from the spam.  As far as I'm aware, the issue is only with the alias and deleteing it should solve the problem. 

Please could one of the forum team help?  Please could you arrange for the problem alias to be deleted but my primary account to remain in place please. Thank you! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delete blueyonder alias

Before the VM staff on this reply let me tell you the position. What you want can't be done.  Deleting a BY alias always involved deleting the address it was attached to. But yours is attached to a primary e-mail address and deleting that is impossible given the way VM's systems are set up. Your only option is simply not to check the alias. But I guess that you are also seeing the mail in your primary account as well?

In the extreme, if you stopped using your BY primary address for e-mail for about 150 days VM should deactivate it automatically for e-mail purposes, but it would remain valid as your My VM log-in.. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks Howard.  Sorry just to confirm, are you saying that using the primary email to login to My Account on the VM website and TV apps etc doesnt count as the email being used / checked?  I can still use it for those whilst letting the email side of it die off and hopefully deactivate after a while?  Thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Precisely what I am saying.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

To try and reduce the upset and threat felt through receipt of those emails consider creating a filter rule in webmail similar to the following; replace occurrences of richard.branson with your alias:
2019-09-30.jpeg
Be aware this rule will only match those emails that are directly addressed to the alias email address.

FYI: the Set colour flag action provides a visual cue that the message is in the Spam folder as a result of matching the filter rule.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wow thank you.  I will try that.