Menu
louisejcm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Delays - Forwarding from VM to Gmail

Hi!

I have set up a forward from my VM (ntlworld) account to my Gmail and for some reason the emails are 30-60minutes delayed in general. They come into my VM (ntlworld) just fine but don't make it to Gmail quickly.

A few things which may or may not help!

* I set it up using the "Check mail from other accounts' option under the Gmail Settings" 

* I view my VM emails using AppleMail on my computer and the Applemail app on my phone. In both cases the emails arrive there quickly but are then delayed getting to Gmail.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks so much for your time!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delays - Forwarding from VM to Gmail

Maybe of help, https://support.google.com/mail/thread/91767888

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Super solver
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@louisejcm wrote:

I have set up a forward from my VM (ntlworld) account to my Gmail

* I set it up using the "Check mail from other accounts' option under the Gmail Settings" 

From those two statements it would seem that rather than "forwarding" from your VM account you are actually using pop3 or IMAP in Gmail to download your VM emails to Gmail.

I would try doing it the other way round. Disable the pop3 / IMAP download in Gmail and set up an autoforward in your VM webmail account to forward all incoming messages to Gmail but keep a copy in your VM account.

I have just tested that and I found VM forwarded my test messages almost instantly. Actually I think that is what the link in VIP 用心's post is suggesting. Gmail seems to work on its own timescale when it comes to checking for new messages in external accounts leading to the sort of delays you are seeing.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
louisejcm
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for taking the time to help! I am going to try this today and will let you know if it works.

I really appreciate you!

Louise

coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@louisejcm wrote:

Thank you so much for taking the time to help!

No problem, thanks for coming back. 👍

Just one caveat with using the "forwarding" route though - and thanks to VIP HowardML for reminding me.

VM have an acceptable usage policy for their email service which says that you need to access your webmail account once every 90 days either by sigining in to your webmail account directly or by accessing via pop3/IMAP using an email client.  After 90 days with no access they may suspend the account.

So if you do switch to using the forwarding approach remember to check your account directly every couple of months to make sure you don't fall foul of that. 😉

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
louisejcm
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ah ok! Great tip - thank you 🙂

0 Kudos