cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay in emails arriving from server

tomhulme
Tuning in

I've suddenly started experiencing delays of several hours for my emails to arrive in Outlook from the Virgin mail server. They appear in the web email server but don't arrive in my Outlook for several hours.

14 REPLIES 14

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does analysing the email header reveal where the delay is, read more here Email Header Analyzer, RFC822 Parser - MxToolbox

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tomhulme wrote:

They appear in the web email server but don't arrive in my Outlook for several hours.

If the emails are arriving in your Webmail account  but then are slow downloading to Outlook it does seem that the issue is with the IMAP/SMTP process in Outlook.

I have Outlook installed as part of Office 365 although I gave up using it a while ago, these days I prefer Thunderbird, much better in my experience.

However, I have just fired up Outlook and it downloaded all my Ntlworld.com and Virginmedia.com emails with no delay at all.

If you are still experiencing issues with Outlook you could check your Send and Receive scheduling by following the steps 1 and 2 below and then check the area I outlined in red in the resulting pop up box

OUTLOOK SEND AND RECEIVE 1.pngOUTLOOK SEND AND RECEIVE 2.png.  

Are you seeing any errors from Outlook that indicate it's having problems accessing the VM servers or downloading your emails?

Alternatively, slow downloading could be the result of an issue with your VM broadband, so are you seeing any delays accessing other websites? If you are in any doubt you could check the download speed you are getting from this link https://speedtest.samknows.com/ 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks to coenoby and 用心棒 for the support offered so far, have you been able to follow these steps tomhulme?

Rob

Thanks.

This is what comes up in the header from the Virgin email web browser. Not sure what it means?

Nothing comes up with the header from when it arrives in Outlook.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Thank you.

However my Outlook Send Receive settings are the same as yours, and no slow download speeds accessing other sites:

Untitled3.jpg

Yes, followed both suggestions. See posts.

Any other suggestions please?

And no obvious problems with e-mail settings:

Incoming IMAP - imap.virginmedia.com

Outgoing SMTP - smtp.virginmedia.com

Incoming IMAP server - 993 (SSL)

Outgoing SMTP server - 465 (SSL)

As I said, suddenly started this week for no obvious reason!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tomhulme wrote:
suddenly started this week for no obvious reason!

That's technology for you, it works until it doesn't.😕

It might be worth checking out this advice from the Microsoft Community forum.

Personally I would think long and hard before trying option 4 in their list but 1 - 3 might be worth trying.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/delay-in-outlook-downloading-emails-on-my-...

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Any other suggestopns please Robert_P?