Menu
ladylara
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Deactivate ntlworld email after leaving virgin

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me? I'm at my wits end with this issue. I left VM Oct 2018 I have been trying to get them to deactivate my ntlworld email address since then. As I am no longer a customer I cannot log in to change the details and I receive several web alerts every month that this email is being used online and not by me. 

3 months after I left I phoned customer service about it who told me to phone the technical team, who told me to phone customer service and so on. I've complained to VM and I've had letters and emails back from them saying they can't contact me on the phone numbers they have on file. regardless of the fact I've given them my mobile number as I'm no longer a customer. 

I have no idea what to do next to get this email deactivated. 

Many thanks in advance and hopefully someone can help with this. 

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deactivate ntlworld email after leaving virgin

You have come to the right place ladylara. It is a sorry state that VM front line on the telephone can't get these situations dealt with!

As you know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer (according to VM's own Terms and Conditions). But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!)

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the mailbox deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few hours (or days?) and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through mailtester.com. Best wishes to you.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @ladylara

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - as our user @MissPaskso has advised, you are indeed in the right place and we can assist you with deleting the old emails. (thanks for flagging to us @MissPasko)

As @MissPasko mentioned, the emails should have been deleted within 90 days of the account closing; on occasion if the email is being actively used, the sweep can miss these accounts and then they remain active. 

All we need to do is raise and IT ticket to delete these emails - usually these are done within a few hours but we advise it can take up to 5 days. 

I'll pop you a quick Private Message so we can take some information and raise the ticket for you - just look out for the purple envelope and pop me a reply when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there @ladylara

Just popping you a quick update to advise that we have managed to complete the request for you 🙂 

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if we can assist with anything further. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

ladylara
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Morning Katie

I can't thank you enough!!! I've been trying to get this sorted for 2 years.

You have been absolutely fantastic. 

Have an awesome day 🙂

Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You are more than welcome @ladylara  - glad I was able to get things sorted out for you. 

If you need anything further, you know where we are. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
Dommy7
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Please help I am also trying to get these deactivated I left last year. I’m disabled and it’s starting  to upset me. Please help

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dommy7

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I'll happily help sort this out. I'll PM you now to arrange 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for joining me on PM, Dommy7

IT have come back to me and confirmed all deleted for you

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos