cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOES VIRGIN EMAIL HAVE FUTURE?

yonder
On our wavelength

I notice from BBC article on latest email failure that Virgin is not offering email to new customers. Is this true? Should we existing Virgin email users (am blueyonder) worry about future? Might it mean that our email service gets still less attention? Should we be thinking of an alternative?  All comments v welcome. Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@yonder  Virgin Media made that change in May 2022.  From then new customers were not able to create VM email addresses and existing customers could not create additional email addresses.  At the time VM said that they would continue to support existing customers email accounts.

Draw your own conclusions as to the long term future.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Don’t forget anyone with an iPhone, iPad or Mac gets a free email address with Apple.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

And as Graham, quite rightly says; ‘draw your own conclusions’.

Except, no let's be honest here, the email provision by VM absolutely has no long-term to medium term future, they don’t want to run it and why should they, it costs money and do so and makes them nothing in return. I’ll be slightly surprised if VM don’t announce before this year is up that they are terminating any and all email provision as of, say June 2025; giving users a year to migrate elsewhere - which isn’t too unreasonable.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@yonder wrote:

I notice from BBC article on latest email failure that Virgin is not offering email to new customers.

You might be interested to read through the four posts in this recent thread. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Blueyonder-Email-Addresses-to-be-deactivated That included a response from a VM Forum Team member saying that VM would continue to support existing customers email accounts.

However, I still stand by everything I said in my post in that thread, including, "the long term future of the VM email service, not just Blueyonder email accounts, is unclear."

Coenoby.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

yonder
On our wavelength

Wow many thx for responses - Virgin just sent me a notice now!   So it seems we have to start preparing for a changeover now even if still have years. (I too am blueyonder).

Is there any article anywhere that tells you have to "carry over data" from a Virgin email account (like blueyonder) to a new non-Virgin email account-address. This is obviously a major problem - old customers like myself have years of valuable emails we would wish to retain. Is there an app for this as there is for changing over smartphones?

Thx again for any help

yonder
On our wavelength

Here's one vid I found on data transfer    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqfmCPeCXo

But there are issues - some transfers may not incl. 1) Folders (as well as emails)  2) Contacts - all info.

Is there any discussion on this forum about all this?

Also a prob re identifying all key services that verify with your current email like Banks - Paypal .  Potential nightmare

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This may help: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

It does make them smoething in return! - Customer Retention probably being the largest.

I havent looked at any published data, but cost of this service should be sub £2 per active account (per month, if contracted out).  They just hiked the prices by what 17%?... yes it may cost them a little, bit like McDonalds trying to charge for a packet of tomato sauce - in the scheme of things it's meh.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.